Forum: Ruby KirbyBase 2.4

jcribbs (Guest)
I would like to announce the release of version 2.4 of KirbyBase, a
small, pure-Ruby database management system that stores it's data in
plain-text files.

You can download it here:

Windows:  http://www.netpromi.com/files/KirbyBase_Ruby_2.4.zip
Linux/Unix:  http://www.netpromi.com/files/KirbyBase_Ruby_2.4.tar.gz

I know, I know, where's the gem?  Well, it's not for lack of help.  Both
Hugh S. and Assaph M. have been kind enough to supply me with
gemspec files for KirbyBase.  I promise I will put a gem together real
soon now.

Anyway, here's whats new in this release:

* Added a new column type: :Time.  Thanks to George M. for
coding
  this enhancement.
* Added more functionality to Memo and Blob fields.  They are no longer
  just read-only.  You can now also write to them from KirbyBase.  The
  interface for Memo and Blob fields has changed because of this.
* Added the ability to specify, when you initialize a database
connection,
  a base directory where memo/blob fields will be stored.
* Changed the way indexes are handled by KBTable in client/server mode.
  Now, when KBTable grabs an index from KBEngine, it will hold onto it
and
  re-use it unless it has been modified since the last time it grabbed
it.
  This speeds up subsequent queries on the same index.
* Removed the restriction that the child table had to exist before you
  could define a Link_many field in #create_table.  I did this so that
  it would possible to now define many-to-many links.  See the example
in
  the distribution.  This also goes for Lookup fields.
* Added two sample scripts:  kbserverctl.rb and kbserver_daemon.rb, that
  show how to set up a KirbyBase server process as a Windows Service.
  Thanks to Daniel B. for his excellent package, win32-service.
* Thouroughly revised the manual.  I used the excellent text document
  formatter, AsciiDoc.  Many thanks to Stuart R. for developing
this
  great tool.
* Fixed a bug in KBTable#clear that was causing the recno counter not to
  be reset.  Thanks to basi for this.

I would like to thank all of the people who provided bug fixes,
suggestions, and ideas for version 2.4.
Enjoy!

Jamey C.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
george.moschovitis (Guest)
congrats for a new release!

-g.
ezra (Guest)
Yes, congratulations! I really love kirbybase as a lightweight pure
ruby db. Keep up the great work Jamie!

Cheers-
-Ezra

On Nov 14, 2005, at 1:26 AM, George M. wrote:

>> You can download it here:
>>
>>   interface for Memo and Blob fields has changed because of this.
>> * Removed the restriction that the child table had to exist before
>> * Thouroughly revised the manual.  I used the excellent text document
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> Jamey C.
>> removed_email_address@domain.invalid
>>

> --