Forum: Ruby rails install question

rbrant (Guest)
Hi all,

brand new to rails..  downloaded and installed to the 'one-click'
installer for ruby for windows and want to get rails in there. I don't
want to
goof things up from the get go, so can someone tell me the best way to
get this all running properly?  It would appear that installing rails
via RubyGems is the way to go, but it appears there are overlaps in
the directory structures with what I've already got as a result of the
ruby 'one click' install.

rich brant
gregory.t.brown (Guest)
On 11/13/05, Rich B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> brand new to rails..  downloaded and installed to the 'one-click'
> installer for ruby for windows and want to get rails in there. I don't want to
> goof things up from the get go, so can someone tell me the best way to
> get this all running properly?  It would appear that installing rails
> via RubyGems is the way to go, but it appears there are overlaps in
> the directory structures with what I've already got as a result of the
> ruby 'one click' install.

You can use gems. That is what I did.  You'll need to install a DBMS
and if you want to use something other than webrick, you'll need that
too.

Or you can make use of the seemingly very handy Instant Rails project:
http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

This has everything you need to get started in one package.

which you can keep seperate from your one click installer stuff

I have not tried it yet, but it seems like this might be an easy way to
go.