Forum: Ruby-Forum.com How to use with existing app?

Ryan (Guest)
on 2005-11-24 18:42
I have rewritten one of our sites using Rails, but now need to add a
forum to it.  Would love to use a native Rails app for that purpose, and
RForum seems the way to go.  But how to integrate RForum with an
existing app?

I mean, it has its own database schema, a site.rb config file, which I
assume would effect the entire app if I put it in there, etc.

Is there a simple way of plugging one Rails app into another?  Or do I
need to just go through the code an alter everything to fit into the app
I have already built?

Thanks.
Paul (Guest)
on 2005-12-02 14:30
Ryan wrote:
> I have rewritten one of our sites using Rails, but now need to add a
> forum to it.  Would love to use a native Rails app for that purpose, and
> RForum seems the way to go.  But how to integrate RForum with an
> existing app?
>
> I mean, it has its own database schema, a site.rb config file, which I
> assume would effect the entire app if I put it in there, etc.
>
> Is there a simple way of plugging one Rails app into another?  Or do I
> need to just go through the code an alter everything to fit into the app
> I have already built?
>
> Thanks.

I would use a virtual host like: forum.yourdomain.com
It would make upgrading easier if you keep the apps seperated.

Paul
Andreas S. (Guest)
on 2005-12-03 13:09
Paul wrote:
> I would use a virtual host like: forum.yourdomain.com
> It would make upgrading easier if you keep the apps seperated.

That's definetely the easiest way. Combining different apps is not
really possible at the moment because Rails doesn't really support
namespaces.