No such file to load --- fox 16

Hi,
I downloaded FxRuby via gem. The both direcories ,
C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\fxruby-1.6.13-mswin32
C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\fxruby-1.6.13
exist in the correct location, but when I try to run it, I get the
following
error:-

C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\fxruby-1.6.13-mswin32\tests>irb
irb(main):001:0> load ‘fox16’
LoadError: no such file to load – fox16
from (irb):1:in `load’
from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0> exit

Windows XP machine, Do I need to add any entries to as a path or
anything
specific to work with FXruby library please?

thanks
Hari

On Nov 9, 2007 2:45 PM, Hari P. [email protected] wrote:

    from (irb):1:in `load'
    from (irb):1

irb(main):002:0> exit

Windows XP machine, Do I need to add any entries to as a path or anything
specific to work with FXruby library please?

thanks
Hari

Gems are for requiring, files are for loading, and trix are for kids :slight_smile:

Try require instead of load…

require ‘fox16’

Todd

On 11/9/07, Todd B. [email protected] wrote:

LoadError: no such file to load – fox16
Gems are for requiring, files are for loading, and trix are for kids :slight_smile:

Try require instead of load…

require ‘fox16’

No, if load won’t work, require won’t either. Require is just the
same as load except that it checks to see if the file has been already
loaded and doesn’t reload it if so.

I suspect that the problem is that he needs to first require ‘rubygems’.

Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

Joel VanderWerf wrote:

Rick DeNatale wrote:

No, if load won’t work, require won’t either. Require is just the
same as load except that it checks to see if the file has been already
loaded and doesn’t reload it if so.

Not true, because load ignores $LOAD_PATH:

Ignore that, it’s quite wrong!

However, load doesn’t automatically append the .rb:

irb(main):001:0> load “fileutils”
LoadError: no such file to load – fileutils
from (irb):1:in `load’
from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0> load “fileutils.rb”
=> true

That will certainly cause “load ‘fox16’” to fail, regardless of the gem
issue.

Rick DeNatale wrote:

No, if load won’t work, require won’t either. Require is just the
same as load except that it checks to see if the file has been already
loaded and doesn’t reload it if so.

Not true, because load ignores $LOAD_PATH:

irb(main):001:0> load ‘fox16’
LoadError: no such file to load – fox16
from (irb):1:in `load’
from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0> require ‘fox16’
=> true

I suspect that the problem is that he needs to first require ‘rubygems’.

Yep, that’s a good thing to check.

On Nov 9, 2007 8:29 PM, Todd B. [email protected] wrote:

Yes, I forgot about that. You need to load the full file name, but
still, doesn’t loading a gem load more than one file?

I meant “requiring a gem”.

Todd

On Nov 9, 2007 7:45 PM, Joel VanderWerf [email protected] wrote:

issue.
Yes, I forgot about that. You need to load the full file name, but
still, doesn’t loading a gem load more than one file?

Todd

HI,
thanks for the feedback, by processing rubygems first and then fox it
seems
to work,

irb(main):003:0> require ‘rubygems’
=> true
irb(main):004:0> require ‘fox16’
=> true

but all the examples which are downloaded with fox does not require this
entry. Is there anything I need to add to to the path in windows to load
gems automatically.
How does this get loaded please?
How does Load_path work, where is defined and can I amend this.
Appreciate your help

thanks & regards
Hari

“Todd B.” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

thanks Joel, it worked.
regards
hari

“Joel VanderWerf” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Hari P. wrote:

entry. Is there anything I need to add to to the path in windows to load
gems automatically.
How does this get loaded please?
How does Load_path work, where is defined and can I amend this.
Appreciate your help

Try setting an environment variable RUBYOPT=“rubygems” in your system
control panel.