Forum: Ruby on Rails SPF record for lists.rubyonrails.org / rubyonrails.com etc

enigma (Guest)
hey all,

would be good to have an SPF record for rubyonrails.com so my spam
filter doesn't (occasionally)  misinterpret list messages as spam..

also, SPF records are a good thing,

see: http://www.openspf.org/wizard.html

best,

_alex

--
alex black, founder
the turing studio, inc.

510.666.0074
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://www.turingstudio.com

2600 10th street, suite 635
berkeley, ca 94710
ray (Guest)
alex black wrote:

> would be good to have an SPF record for rubyonrails.com so my spam
> filter doesn't (occasionally)  misinterpret list messages as spam..
>
> also, SPF records are a good thing,
>
> see: http://www.openspf.org/wizard.html

That wouldn't work. Mailman, the list server software for this list,
forwards the mail that you send to everyone on the list, so you are the
sender. You, and everyone else who contributes to this list, would have
to have an SPF record that noted that rubyonrails.com was allowed to
forward mail for them. This means that if you use gmail, you need to
convince Google to add this record.

Actually, the reason that some messages are being marked as spam is
probably _because_ the sender has an SPF record that doesn't include
rubyonrails.com as a source.

Rubyonrails.com would have to switch to software that resent the mail
from some user at rubyonrails.com.

(By the way, if you are checking on what I am saying, look at someone
else's mail, not this one. I am reading this as a newsgroup through
gmane.)

I agree that SPF records are a good thing, but this issue of forwarding
is a thorny one which has not been solved.

Ray

--
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://www.warmroom.com/
On 24/11/2005, at 12:51 PM, Ray B. wrote:

> list, would have to have an SPF record that noted that
> (By the way, if you are checking on what I am saying, look at
> someone else's mail, not this one. I am reading this as a newsgroup
> through gmane.)
>
> I agree that SPF records are a good thing, but this issue of
> forwarding is a thorny one which has not been solved.

Mailman changes the envelope sender to rails-
removed_email_address@domain.invalid. I've set my SPF checking software
(Courier MTA) to allow though emails where the From: header doesn't
match SPF records but the envelope sender does. It's the best we can
do for now, short of adding an exception for every list we join....