Forum: Ruby DRb Questions

james (Guest)
I've seen a couple of tutorials now claim that both sides need access
to all classes used by client and server, but that's just a half
truth, right?

I'm needing to build a client class that just defines an API, then
allow clients to subclass it to customize it to their needs.  The
server will be able to handle this as long as the client object is
DRbUnDumped or proxied, right?

I just want to make sure I'm not crazy, before I try to build it.
Thanks.

James Edward G. II
ian (Guest)
James Edward G. II wrote:

> I'm needing to build a client class that just defines an API, then
> allow clients to subclass it to customize it to their needs.  The
> server will be able to handle this as long as the client object is
> DRbUnDumped or proxied, right?

If you pass a proxied object rather than marshalling it, yes. The server
will be able to access the client object in the context of the client.

I'm using this fact now with great success:

    http://ian.blenke.com/drb

In this model, the server uses the $stdin/$stdout/$stderr of the calling
client. Neat stuff.

> I just want to make sure I'm not crazy, before I try to build it.
> Thanks.

Everyone is crazy. That shouldn't stop you from trying.

- Ian C. Blenke <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> http://ian.blenke.com/
drbrain (Guest)
On Nov 22, 2005, at 4:57 PM, James Edward G. II wrote:

> I've seen a couple of tutorials now claim that both sides need
> access to all classes used by client and server, but that's just a
> half truth, right?

Half truth.  Access to all classes or appropriate use of
DRb::DRbUndumped.

> I'm needing to build a client class that just defines an API, then
> allow clients to subclass it to customize it to their needs.  The
> server will be able to handle this as long as the client object is
> DRbUnDumped or proxied, right?

Should work perfectly.

--
Eric H. - removed_email_address@domain.invalid - http://segment7.net
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

james (Guest)
On Nov 22, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Ian C. Blenke wrote:

> the client.
>
> I'm using this fact now with great success:
>
>    http://ian.blenke.com/drb
>
> In this model, the server uses the $stdin/$stdout/$stderr of the
> calling client. Neat stuff.

Very nice link.  Thanks for sharing!

James Edward G. II