Forum: Ferret ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBu

Gethryn G. (Guest)
on 2007-08-28 10:52
Hi all,

Sorry if this is answered somewhere -- I am new to ruby and to linux,
and can't figure it out:

When I try to install ferret (see below), I get ERROR:  While executing
gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError).  Same thing happens for
any version I pick from th list.

I am using:
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i486-linux]
gem 0.9.4

No idea how to fix this -- please help!

Thanks,

Geth

gethryn@gethryn-desktop:~/rails_space$ sudo gem install ferret
Password:
Select which gem to install for your platform (i486-linux)
 1. ferret 0.11.4 (ruby)
 2. ferret 0.11.4 (mswin32)
 3. ferret 0.11.3 (ruby)
 4. ferret 0.11.2 (ruby)
 5. Skip this gem
 6. Cancel installation
> 1
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

ruby extconf.rb install ferret
extconf.rb:11:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
        from extconf.rb:11

Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ferret-0.11.4 for inspection.
Results logged to
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ferret-0.11.4/ext/gem_make.out
gethryn@gethryn-desktop:~/rails_space$
Benjamin K. (Guest)
> ruby extconf.rb install ferret
> extconf.rb:11:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
>         from extconf.rb:11

Geth,

i would assume, your ruby setup is broken. at least for root.
are you able to compile other extension or install other
gems? mkmf is a basic library of ruby, i've got it automatically
installed by ruby at

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb

are you able to open a irb session and require mkmf
manually? did you check, if that file exists in your ruby
1.8 folder? maybe you should reinstall ruby.

and did you check the log file?

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ferret-0.11.4/ext/gem_make.out

Ben
Jens K. (Guest)
On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 09:45:28AM +0200, Benjamin K. wrote:

> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb

he's on Ubuntu, which inherited the nice feature of having Ruby split up
in several packages from Debian :(

mkmf is part of ruby1.8-dev.

Jens

--
Jens Krämer
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
GF Sven Haubold, Hagen Malessa
Gethryn G. (Guest)
on 2007-08-28 12:47
Jens K. wrote:
> he's on Ubuntu, which inherited the nice feature of having Ruby split up
> in several packages from Debian :(
>
> mkmf is part of ruby1.8-dev.

A THOUSAND THANK YOUS!  I can finish the book I am learning from now!

"Successfully installed ferret-0.11.4"

worked perfectly after I ran:

$ sudo apt-get install ruby1.8-dev

Thanks again,