Forum: Ruby on Rails 'Coming from' rails...to php, help

blinking bear (Guest)
I have to put together a quick proposal for a site that, for now, is set
be PHP.  Hopefully we can change that, but I could use some help with
PHP
best practices.  Are their PHP equivalents for Test:Unit, autotest,
capistrano...? basically I just need some buzzwords for this meeting
before
we make them drink the rails Kool Aide.

Thanks
Mitch P. (Guest)
On Aug 2, 2007, at 12:19 , blinking bear wrote:

> I have to put together a quick proposal for a site that, for now,
> is set to be PHP.  Hopefully we can change that, but I could use
> some help with PHP best practices.  Are their PHP equivalents for
> Test:Unit, autotest, capistrano...? basically I just need some
> buzzwords for this meeting before we make them drink the rails Kool
> Aide.

PHP has PHPUnit and Phing - and as noted on other threads the Symfony
framework has some rails flavor to it as well.

The difference from my experience as a PHP->Rails convert, is that
you can do a lot of the same things in PHP but you have to take a
build-it-yourself attitude; whereas Rails, RSpec and Capistrano give
you so much more right out of the box.

Here's a funny story for you guys - I'm working on a huge PHP project
right now, and I'm using Rails on my macbook (on the sly, of course)
to manage changes to the datamodel with migrations. I hope none of
those guys read this list.

* mitch holds a pinkie up to the corner of his mouth
Eno (Guest)
On Aug 2, 1:11 pm, Mitch P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> PHP has PHPUnit and Phing - and as noted on other threads the Symfony
> framework has some rails flavor to it as well.

Symfony is very Rails-ish but (like you) I wish it had migrations...

Its also had its own testing framework (Lime) for some time.

There is some built-in support for deployment and syncing to
production servers.

But Im now looking at using Capistrano to deploy our PHP apps ;-)

> Here's a funny story for you guys - I'm working on a huge PHP project
> right now, and I'm using Rails on my macbook (on the sly, of course)
> to manage changes to the datamodel with migrations. I hope none of
> those guys read this list.

Damn, wish I had done that from day one!

--
Jason R. (Guest)
Capistrano is definitely not a Rails-only solution. You definitely

Rake is the same way.

Migrations rock, and you can set Rails to output as schema.sql so
no-one's
the wiser :P.

Otherwise, good luck. Hope you can at least use Ruby tools if not all of
Rails.

Jason
blinking bear (Guest)
Thanks for the feedback... we got the project.  Now...wanna build it?
nigel.bris (Guest)
Just for interest sake. There is PHP on Trax, it is syntacticly
equivalent to RoR but using php code..  http://www.phpontrax.com

I don't know how active its dev is?