Forum: Ruby on Rails A rather n00by question on rake, from "Build Your Own RoR Ap

Daniel A. (Guest)
Hi!  I had a question on rake.  I am going through Mr. Lenz's book, and
have
been coasting through successfully until I hit the section in Ch. 6 on
testing.  At the command line, in my application root, I typed:  $ rake
test:units

My error message was:

daniel-ahns-power-mac-g5:~/Sites/shovell dannyG5$ rake test:units
(in /Users/dannyG5/Sites/shovell)
rake aborted!
#28000Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

It seems as if rake is trying to communicate with mysql -- i put a
password
on mysql, though my username is still root.  Do I have to log on to
mysql or
somehow provide rake with my mysql password so it can successfully test?
How do I do that?

When I used $ rake db:migrate, everything worked fine, so I'm confused,
as
my mysql knowledge is at a beginner level.

I'm on a G5 OSX 10.4.10, running Ruby 1.8.6, rails 1.2.3, mysql 5.  Any
help
would be greatly appreciated!

Daniel

--
"Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.
In

Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how
can
we know the way?"

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes
the Father except through Me.  If you had known Me, you would have known
My
Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him."

John 14:1-10
Lutz H. (Guest)

2007/8/2, Daniel A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> daniel-ahns-power-mac-g5:~/Sites/shovell dannyG5$ rake test:units
> (in /Users/dannyG5/Sites/shovell)
> rake aborted!
> #28000Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

As you said, there is a password for user "root" on your MySQL DB. You
must
put this password into your config/databas.yml for the test environment.

Lutz
Shane K. (Guest)
on 2007-08-02 14:07
Once you've changed that you can double check:

mysqladmin -u root -p password
Lutz H. (Guest)

2007/8/2, Shane K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> mysqladmin -u root -p password

But be aware that there must not be a blank between "-p" and your
password.

Lutz
joaquim pedro antunes (Guest)