Forum: Ruby on Rails Attachment_fu file sizes

Dan G. (Guest)
on 2007-08-02 03:35
Hi, I've been using minimagick with attachment_fu and have noticed the
resized jpeg files are huge, over 100kb for a 640*480 pic. Does anyone
know a way to compress these files upon conversion?
-Thanks
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 02 Aug 2007, at 01:35, Dan G. wrote:

> Hi, I've been using minimagick with attachment_fu and have noticed the
> resized jpeg files are huge, over 100kb for a 640*480 pic. Does anyone
> know a way to compress these files upon conversion?

As minimagick probably uses the ImageMagick command line utility
"convert" in the plugin code somewhere to scale the images, you
should be able to bring the size down by adding the -quality
parameter to the command. Possible values are described at http://
www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-options.php#quality

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Andrew S. (Guest)
On 2 Aug 2007, at 00:35, Dan G. wrote:
> Hi, I've been using minimagick with attachment_fu and have noticed the
> resized jpeg files are huge, over 100kb for a 640*480 pic. Does anyone
> know a way to compress these files upon conversion?

It could be related to embedded metadata:

http://blog.airbladesoftware.com/2007/6/27/compres...
attachment_fu-and-rmagick

Regards,
Andy S.