Forum: GNU Radio Upgrading from Gnu Radio Version 2.8 to 3.0

Ryan R. (Guest)
Hello group,

A while back, I built some new blocks for testing a system of ours using
mostly the GMSK code out of version 2.8.  If I were to upgrade to
version 3.0.4 would I encounter problems using the blocks compiled and
used with 2.8?  The reason I ask this question is I want to be up to
date with the GNU Radio, but don't want to ruin any work I have done in
the previous version.

Also aside from bug-fixes, could anyone tell me (in short) the major
difference between GnuRadio 2.8 and 3.0?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Eric B. (Guest)
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 12:30:29PM -0500, Ryan R. wrote:
> difference between GnuRadio 2.8 and 3.0?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ryan

The primary changes are in the build system.

It shouldn't be hard to port blocks written for 2.8.  Are you
currently building your blocks in the main tree, or outside of it, as
suggested in the "How to Write a Block" article?

  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/doc/howto-wri...

If you follow the strategy in "How to Write a Block", I think you'll
find the port straight-forward.  Most likely just some Makefile.am
hacking.

Eric