Forum: Ruby on Rails form and popup in RoR

Shandy N. (Guest)
on 2007-08-01 19:02
I have this form helper that I am using that updates a div within the
form upon completion. The action of the form runs a method that check
the validaty of a membership number. If it is a good number the number
is added to a list else it does a popup that indicates that this was not
a valid membership number. Everything upto that point works fine. Th
eproblem happens after I hit 'ok' on the popup. When I do that I get
garabage displayed in the div in the form of a try catch block. I think
that this might be a ruby bug, but does anyone have any ideas of how to
fix this? Here is some code:

The form tag:

<%= form_remote_tag :update => 'add_airline_table',  :url => { :action
=> 'add_airline_table', :id => @user.id }, :complete =>
'document.getElementById("account_num").value = "";' %>

The alert box:

       render :update do |page|
        page.alert 'Invalid Membership Number'
       end

The garabage:

try { alert("Invalid Membership Number"); } catch (e) { alert('RJS
error:\n\n' + e.toString()); alert('alert(\"Invalid Membership
Number\");'); throw e }

Thanks,

~S
Robert W. (Guest)
It looks to me like your gsrbage is JavaScript. Are you replacing your
div with a block of JavaScript?

On Aug 1, 11:02 am, Shandy N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Shandy N. (Guest)
on 2007-08-01 21:12
Robert W. wrote:
> It looks to me like your gsrbage is JavaScript. Are you replacing your
> div with a block of JavaScript?
>
> On Aug 1, 11:02 am, Shandy N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

Not intentialy. The part of the code that renders the alert is inside my
add_airline_table method. When the method returns and a failure occurs,
:update is left with nothing to update that div with, but somehow that
garabage is bleeding through to the :update and displaying. I just don't
know how. I have tried several ways to display an empty string in the
div without success. Whatever is happening is happening at the very last
instance of updating the div.
Rob B. (Guest)
On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Robert W. wrote:

>> is added to a list else it does a popup that indicates that this

Get rid of the :update on the form_remote_tag if you are going to
send back RJS to be evaluated.  The RJS can do a page.replace_html if
there's no error.

Rob B.    http://agileconsultingllc.com
removed_email_address@domain.invalid