Hello! I'm running an application written in Ruby using mod_ruby wtih Apache, the application is pretty fast and responsive but output compression via mod_deflate may help to bring even more speed and save bandwidth. The problem is that it appears to be very hard to make mod_ruby and mod_deflate to play well together. This is my simple mod_deflate configuration: <IfModule mod_deflate.c> AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml </IfModule> Indeed I'm generating text/html from mod_ruby. Still it does not compress at all, while in the same box output from PHP scripts are compressed without problems. I tried to load the deflate module as last module but still it does not work. Somebody aware of the black magic required to make this working? Thank you very much for your help, Salvatore
on 2007-08-01 17:56
on 2007-08-01 20:44
On 01/08/07, Salvatore S. <email@example.com> wrote: > <IfModule mod_deflate.c> > AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml > </IfModule> > > Indeed I'm generating text/html from mod_ruby. That's fine, but apache may not know that. First, get rid of the IfModule lines, they just serve to make debugging problems like this harder (because it could be that you don't have the module loaded). And then, check how you're telling apache to pass the request on to mod_ruby. If it's with AddType, replace that with AddHandler, and use AddType to tell apache that the mime-type of your handler is text/html. If that doesn't help, reply (to me directly too please, I find this list hard to keep up with) with your apache config and I'll see if I can reproduce the issue.
on 2007-08-03 05:45
On Aug 1, 6:43 pm, "Vincent Bray" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: > > Indeed I'm generating text/html frommod_ruby. > > That's fine, but apache may not know that. First, get rid of the Ok Thanks, actually adding the line: AddType text/html .rhtml to my existing configuration solved the issue, now the pages are compressed correctly. The only *virtual* problem with this is that if I want to generate images or other content it's not worth to compress from Ruby this may be compressed anyway but I solved the issue using .rb files to generate this kind of content while using .rhtml files only when the output is really HTML, so everything is fine. Thanks again, Cheers, Salvatore