Forum: Ruby Why aren't filenames being lowercased?

Peter B. (Guest)
on 2007-08-01 16:25
This is a simple script that I'm just using for something bigger in the
near future, kind of a test. I'm looking in a directory of TIFF files,
lower-casing the filenames, and then listing them with PDF named
counterparts. The script works fine until about 3/4 of the way down the
list and, all of a sudden, it displays the TIFF files in uppercase. If I
go into the directory itself, those "upper-case" names are actually
lower-case as filenames. Why is it doing this?
Thanks,
Peter

Dir.chdir("L:/tiff/cdtiff/00000")
  Dir.glob("*.tif").each do |tiffile|
  File.rename(tiffile, tiffile.downcase)
  pdffile = File.basename(tiffile, ".tif") + ".pdf"
  puts "#{tiffile}  #{pdffile}"
end

gives me:
va997.tif  va997.pdf
va998.tif  va998.pdf
WI679.TIF  WI679.TIF.pdf
WI680.TIF  WI680.TIF.pdf
WI681.TIF  WI681.TIF.pdf
Florian G. (Guest)
> Dir.chdir("L:/tiff/cdtiff/00000")
>   Dir.glob("*.tif").each do |tiffile|
     new_name = tiffile.downcase
     File.rename(tiffile, new_name)
     pdffile = File.basename(new_name, ".tif") + ".pdf"
     puts "#{new_name}  #{pdffile}"
> end

Basically, you were still using the old (outdated) name.

> gives me:
> va997.tif  va997.pdf
> va998.tif  va998.pdf
> WI679.TIF  WI679.TIF.pdf
> WI680.TIF  WI680.TIF.pdf
> WI681.TIF  WI681.TIF.pdf

I think your va* files were already in lowercase when the script was
running.
Peter B. (Guest)
on 2007-08-01 16:55
Florian G. wrote:
>> Dir.chdir("L:/tiff/cdtiff/00000")
>>   Dir.glob("*.tif").each do |tiffile|
>      new_name = tiffile.downcase
>      File.rename(tiffile, new_name)
>      pdffile = File.basename(new_name, ".tif") + ".pdf"
>      puts "#{new_name}  #{pdffile}"
>> end
>
> Basically, you were still using the old (outdated) name.
>
>> gives me:
>> va997.tif  va997.pdf
>> va998.tif  va998.pdf
>> WI679.TIF  WI679.TIF.pdf
>> WI680.TIF  WI680.TIF.pdf
>> WI681.TIF  WI681.TIF.pdf
>
> I think your va* files were already in lowercase when the script was
> running.

Well, all of the filenames should be lower-cased, because of my
"File.rename" in my script. And, like I said, all the files that show up
upper-case are really lower-case as files.
ChrisH (Guest)
See inline comments
On Aug 1, 8:25 am, Peter B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Dir.chdir("L:/tiff/cdtiff/00000")
>   Dir.glob("*.tif").each do |tiffile|
>From the docs look like it creates an array of matched filke names
then
iterates, placing current filename in tiffile...

>   File.rename(tiffile, tiffile.downcase)
Rename the file to be lowercase, value in tiffile(and in the array
created by Dir.glob) is unchanged...

>   pdffile = File.basename(tiffile, ".tif") + ".pdf"
I think base name is case sensitive, so ".tif" does not match '.TIF'
so .pdf is appended instead
of replacing '.TIF'
>   puts "#{tiffile}  #{pdffile}"
> end

When you go look at the directory the files are in lowercase because
your script has made them so.
Have you tried re-running on the dir of lower-case names?

Cheers
Chris
Peter B. (Guest)
on 2007-08-01 17:12
ChrisH wrote:
> See inline comments
> On Aug 1, 8:25 am, Peter B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Dir.chdir("L:/tiff/cdtiff/00000")
>>   Dir.glob("*.tif").each do |tiffile|
>>From the docs look like it creates an array of matched filke names
> then
> iterates, placing current filename in tiffile...
>
>>   File.rename(tiffile, tiffile.downcase)
> Rename the file to be lowercase, value in tiffile(and in the array
> created by Dir.glob) is unchanged...
>
>>   pdffile = File.basename(tiffile, ".tif") + ".pdf"
> I think base name is case sensitive, so ".tif" does not match '.TIF'
> so .pdf is appended instead
> of replacing '.TIF'
>>   puts "#{tiffile}  #{pdffile}"
>> end
>>

> When you go look at the directory the files are in lowercase because
> your script has made them so.
> Have you tried re-running on the dir of lower-case names?
>
> Cheers
> Chris

I don't understand. Yes, I've made them lower-case, and then, I'm just
listing them. I'm a Windows guy and this whole case business is new to
me, but, I'm learning to have to deal with it. That's why I lower-cased
all the files to start with. So, if they're lowercase, why would they
display as upper-case?
Jano S. (Guest)
On 8/1/07, Peter B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >>   File.rename(tiffile, tiffile.downcase)
> >
> all the files to start with. So, if they're lowercase, why would they
> display as upper-case?

1. You have to work with the new filename. I.e. after you rename the
file, set the new file name as well, otherwise you'll be working with
the old name.

File.rename(tiffile, tiffile.downcase)
tiffile = tiffile.downcase # <<< THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!

pdffile = ...

- OR -

newtifile = tiffile.downcase
if newtiffile != tiffile
   File.rename(tiffile, newtiffile)
   tiffile = newtiffile
end

pdffile = ... tiffile...

2. Sometimes windows shows uppercase filenames in lowercase -- (I'm
guessing that)
 when on FAT && the filename is in 8.3 format (=has no lfn) -- you can
check with full dir
Peter B. (Guest)
on 2007-08-01 17:51

> 2. Sometimes windows shows uppercase filenames in lowercase -- (I'm
> guessing that)
>  when on FAT && the filename is in 8.3 format (=has no lfn) -- you can
> check with full dir

Thanks. I guess I thought that the File.rename was enough, but,
obviously, it wasn't. Kind of disconcerting to me. But, I got it. I took
one of your hints, above, and did a full lower-casing in a separate
loop, instead of in the same loop. So, now, it's working. Thank you to
all!