Forum: Ruby on Rails prevent form_for password_field from auto filling

Mindtonic (Guest)
How do you tell a form not to automatically include the database
information?

I do not want the password to appear.

<% form_for :user, :url => user_url(@user), :html => { :method
=> :put } do |f| -%>
<% end %>
Rick O. (Guest)
On 8/1/07, Mindtonic <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> <% end %>

Er, perhaps don't store the password in your model?  Use
password_field_tag otherwise.

--
Rick O.
http://lighthouseapp.com

On Aug 1, 2007, at 9:59 , Mindtonic wrote:

> How can I tell it not to store the password in the model.  I know that
> it is pulling the properties directly from the database.

I believe what Rick is saying is don't store the password in the
database at all. For example, you can hash the password (with a salt
for better security) and store the hash and the salt in the database.
Check out the acts_as_authenticated or restful_authentication plugins
for examples of how this is done.

Michael G.
grzm seespotcode net
Kip (Guest)
If I understand correctly, the objective is to allow the user to enter
a password which is then updated in the database, but you don't want
the password displayed?  Is that correct?  Then if so, you could put
the following in your model

def password
  # return nothing so no one ever sees
  # the password
  ""
end

def password=(p)
 # if nothing provided and we already have a password set then don't
overwrite
 # since we assume a password was set already. Otherwise
 # set the password
 if p.blank?
    return
 else
    write_attribute("password", p)

However this isn't a satisfactory real world solution.  Several good
password and authentication
schemes have been mentioned.  There's a good description one strategy
in Rails Recipes on page 135.

Cheers, --Kip