I'm running Rails 1.2.3 with mongrel and Ruby 1.8.6 on Windows. I change the log_level in environment.rb from :debug to :warn (or :error) but still see gobs of output in the development.log file. The log_level setting seems to have no effect for me. I also tried putting in config.log_level = :warn in the environments/development.rb file to no avail. I did restart the server each time after making and saving the edits to the file. More than discovering a fix to my problem, I'd greatly appreciate any pointers as to how to go about debugging this issue. Thanks Vish
on 2007-08-01 01:28
on 2007-08-01 09:10
Okay it looks like RAILS_DEFAULT_LOGGER is set so the log_level settings in the config files are ignored. Can't seem to find who may be setting the RAILS_DEFAULT_LOGGER. Will appreciate any pointers.
on 2007-08-01 10:29
Vish K wrote: >> putting in config.log_level = :warn in the environments/development.rb >> file to no avail. >> >> I did restart the server each time after making and saving the edits >> to the file. >> >> More than discovering a fix to my problem, I'd greatly appreciate any >> pointers as to how to go about debugging this issue. >> >> Thanks >> Vish I believe there's a bug in script/server when used with Mongrel related to this issue. Try searching the bugtracker at dev.rubyonrails.org for more information. -- Cheers, - Jacob A.
on 2007-08-01 21:39
Jacob, You're right about the bug. I had to put this at the bottom of my environment.rb to get what I wanted. RAILS_DEFAULT_LOGGER.level = Logger::WARN Hope this helps someone else. Thanks Vish
on 2007-08-01 23:36
It seems that the offending line (that causes the logging settings in the config files to be skipped) is Rails::Initializer.run(:initialize_logger) in rails-1.2.3/lib/commands/servers/mongrel.rb. This is line #50 for me. Due to this the RAILS_DEFAULT_LOGGER is set and you have to put a setting like this in the config file: RAILS_DEFAULT_LOGGER.level = Logger::WARN
on 2007-08-01 23:45
Vish K wrote: > >> >> Thanks >> Vish I seem to recall that you might be able to dodge the issue by using "mongrel_rails start" instead of script/server. My memory has been known to be corrupted though ;-) -- Cheers, - Jacob A.