Forum: Ruby Candlestick charts in Ruby

Ams L. (Guest)
on 2007-08-01 00:01
Hi - Do you know if there is an open-source package to do candlestick
stock/technical charts using Ruby?
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
Ams L. wrote:
> Hi - Do you know if there is an open-source package to do candlestick
> stock/technical charts using Ruby?

You could probably hack something up pretty quickly on Windows if Excel
is installed by using the OLE interface. If there's a similar
candlestick capability in OpenOffice.org's spreadsheet or Gnumeric, you
could do it that way.

Years ago when I was into technical analysis I had some blindingly fast
Forth code and some moderately usable Perl 4 code that did point and
figure charts, which is all I used. The Forth code was so fast it could
have charted tick data in real time on an 8 MHz 80186 if I had tick data
to chart. :)

I could go look for that -- it's probably on a floppy disk somewhere,
although I could probably reproduce it in Ruby from memory faster than
I'd be able to find a 15 year old floppy disk. Point and figure is a lot
more fun than candlesticks anyhow. :)

Do you have real time data? Would you be pulling quote data off the web
and using it? If they're still around, "stockcharts.com" had a whole
bunch of unusual chart types, including an extremely nifty point and
figure Java applet, candlesticks, and some charts I've never seen
anywhere else.
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Forth code and some moderately usable Perl 4 code that did point and
> and using it? If they're still around, "stockcharts.com" had a whole
> bunch of unusual chart types, including an extremely nifty point and
> figure Java applet, candlesticks, and some charts I've never seen
> anywhere else.

Now that I think of it, point and figure charts might make an
interesting Ruby Q.. :) Let me go find some test data.
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> Forth code and some moderately usable Perl 4 code that did point and
>> and using it? If they're still around, "stockcharts.com" had a whole
>> bunch of unusual chart types, including an extremely nifty point and
>> figure Java applet, candlesticks, and some charts I've never seen
>> anywhere else.
>>

> Now that I think of it, point and figure charts might make an
> interesting Ruby Q.. :) Let me go find some test data.

More info ... it doesn't look like "oocalc" does candlesticks. However,
it looks like you can do them in Gnumeric, and "gnuplot" has them built
in. So your best bet is probably to use the Ruby "gnuplot" library.

Also ... I checked and stockcharts.com still has their nifty point and
figure charts. They also have candlesticks. So ... I think this would
make a nice Ruby quiz.
James G. (Guest)
On Jul 31, 2007, at 11:08 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> So ... I think this would make a nice Ruby quiz.

You are welcome to write it up and send it in:

removed_email_address@domain.invalid

James Edward G. II