Forum: Ruby on Rails inbox addon for app

John G. (Guest)
on 2007-07-31 14:36
Hi, i'm trying to write a sort-of inbox feature for my app.

e.g.
having a 'inbox' & 'sent items' area for each logged in user so they can
send and receive messages to people logged into the system.

i'm thinking the data model would be something like...

message
user_id
created_at
updated_at

something like that,

the state (not read, read, sent) would determine what box it should sit
in, sort of like a blog / list model to connect each message together
like a line of history.

unsure.

any thoughts?
Jacob A. (Guest)
John G. wrote:
> created_at
> any thoughts?
I seem to vaugely recall someone writing about a plugin doing that kind
of thing. Maybe you can save yourself a bit of time browsing the plugin
lists at:

http://agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins

And maybe me memory is corrupted and you should just go ahead and do it
yourself. It sounds like a pretty easy task ;-)

--
Cheers,
- Jacob A.
> user_id
>
> any thoughts?

You may want sender/receiver fields too.

--
Rick O.
http://lighthouseapp.com

as a sidenote,

how do you write listboxes and checkboxes elements into the ruby forms?
linoj (Guest)
I'd probably add an Inbox model that belongs_to messages with a column
for the user_id and read_state
Then do a current_user.inbox.messages for your index find, and use
group_by in the view to divide them up by state.
This way a message can be 'delivered' to multiple people with
different states. A user deleteing a message removes it from his
inbox. Then periodically purge all orphaned messages... (just thinking
out loud here)

linoj

On Jul 31, 6:36 am, John G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>