Forum: Ruby limit file download size

andreim (Guest)
Hi, I'm writing a ruby on rails application that allows the user to
submit a link of a file which my app will then download.
Right now my app blindly downloads the file (which is 1-2mb on
average)
I'm worried about pranksters who would intentionally submit links to
30gb files.
Is there a way to set the maximum size of a file that I'm downloading?

One possible solution is to parse the content-length field of the file
header. But the server need not send this field along with the file.

I just want my application to stop downloading when the file gets to a
certain size (say 2mb) and alert the user that the file they submitted
is too big.

Thanks!

--Andrei
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 7/29/07, andreim <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi, I'm writing a ruby on rails application

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk
Shai R. (Guest)
on 2007-07-31 12:05
anyone know how to notify the user, client side, that the upload is too
big??
Mariusz Pękala (Guest)
On 2007-07-31 17:05:24 +0900 (Tue, Jul), Shai R. wrote:
> anyone know how to notify the user, client side, that the upload is too
> big??

I recall there was some magic hidden field - google
for 'upload form max_file_size'

Other than that, you can always put:
:-)
Gregory B. (Guest)