Forum: Rails deployment Question about SVN over WebDAV security

D. K. (Guest)
on 2007-07-28 19:57
Hello friends,

After reading a lot about different methods of Subversion access, I
still don't understand if it's possible to have HTTPS access (meaning
Apache+WebDAV) access to the repository, but in a way that would require
each client to have installed a certificate on their machine..

My goal is to have this kind of security - I know how to do that with
svn+ssh, but I think I need web access, because I want to install TRAC
as well.. even if I wouldn't explicitly need HTTP access to the repo,
TRAC would still show the source, protected with just a password (and
not certificate on the client machine).

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you very much!
david
John W. (Guest)
On Jul 28, 8:57 am, "D. Krmpotic" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> After reading a lot about different methods of Subversion access, I
> still don't understand if it's possible to have HTTPS access (meaning
> Apache+WebDAV) access to the repository, but in a way that would require
> each client to have installed a certificate on their machine..

I believe it is possible to set up SSL through Apache in such a way
that it requires a client certificate to connect, but I'm not 100%
sure. At any rate, Apache is definitely the layer at which this would
be handled, regardless of whether you were serving a subversion
repository or just a static website. If no one else here has a quick
answer for you, I'd recommend digging through the Apache documentation
and perhaps asking on an Apache-specific group.

--
Regards,

John W.
D. K. (Guest)
on 2007-07-30 20:43
Thank you for the tip!

One of the reasons I was asking here is to see if anyone else is doing
something like that.. I don't want to do something out of the ordinary.
If I decide to do it, I'll definitely ask in some Apache group.

So what is everyone using? Repository protected with a regular password
(over https)? Is that secure enough?

thank you1

david