Forum: GNU Radio Stand Alone USRP applications?

John C. (Guest)
Are there examples outside of the GNURadio set of stuff which use the
USRP
as a highspeed data acquisition device, and would allow one to build an
application around it.

The reason for this is, I may be forced to make an 'incredibly' reduced
embedded
system which really not support the full 'python' environment that is
needed to
run GNURadio.

Thanks,
John C..
Philip B. (Guest)
On 7/27/07, John C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Are there examples outside of the GNURadio set of stuff which use the USRP
> as a highspeed data acquisition device, and would allow one to build an
> application around it.

I have created a device interfacing the USRP to the OSSIE SCA software
and run resulting apps on an Efika and OMAP starter kit. The website
is http://ossie.mprg.org.

> The reason for this is, I may be forced to make an 'incredibly' reduced
> embedded
> system which really not support the full 'python' environment that is
> needed to
> run GNURadio.

Can you tell us what you mean by incredibly reduced embedded system?
Practically speaking, we can build gnu radio for some fairly small
hardware (compared to the PC). See my email about the gnuradio running
on the Neo1973.

My experience with OSSIE, the USRP and embedded systems is that the
"hard" problem is the lack of USB2.0 support and not getting software
to fit.

I don't work with gnu radio very much, but I have helped get it
running with OpenEmbedded so we can do builds for embedded machines. I
suspect we could run simple gnu radio examples on the OSK.

Phiip
Johnathan C. (Guest)
John C. wrote:

> The reason for this is, I may be forced to make an 'incredibly'
> reduced embedded system which really not support the full 'python'
> environment that is needed to run GNURadio.

GNU Radio 3.2 will have the ability to write GNU Radio applications
purely in C++, with no need of the Python interpreter.  (Actually, this
functionality is in the development trunk right now, but has no support
for the USRP yet.)

--
Johnathan C.
Corgan Enterprises LLC
Johnathan C. wrote:
> GNU Radio 3.2 will have the ability to write GNU Radio applications
> purely in C++, with no need of the Python interpreter. (Actually, this
> functionality is in the development trunk right now, but has no
> support for the USRP yet.)
Yes!