Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby on Rails & Textmate

Shane K. (Guest)
on 2007-07-28 01:53
I'm new to textmate also and I was wondering how can you get it to
integrate with the Ruby on Rails.
I know there is like a "popout with navigation for the folders" - the
best way I can describe it.

How can I get this?

Also I have downloaded CocoaMySQL and I have MySQL installed, I am
trying to connect. I have not set up anything in MySQL yet (I have
installed the fix for Mac OS X). I assume that I just tell it to connect
to "localhost"

I don't have a username or password?

At work I do a very little bit with Oracle... so maybe MySQL is similar
.... would it have a configuration file?
Do I have to edit anything here to connect?

I do realise that this is the Ruby on Rails forum... but maybe someone
can help me?

Cheers
Jeff P. (Guest)
on 2007-07-28 06:04
Shane K. wrote:
> I'm new to textmate also and I was wondering how can you get it to
> integrate with the Ruby on Rails.
> I know there is like a "popout with navigation for the folders" - the
> best way I can describe it.
>
> How can I get this?

I'll answer this part.  Choose "New Project" from the File menu and go
from there...

jp
Shane K. (Guest)
on 2007-07-28 06:09
Jeff P. wrote:
> Shane K. wrote:
>> I'm new to textmate also and I was wondering how can you get it to
>> integrate with the Ruby on Rails.
>> I know there is like a "popout with navigation for the folders" - the
>> best way I can describe it.
>>
>> How can I get this?
>>

> I'll answer this part.  Choose "New Project" from the File menu and go
> from there...
>
> jp

Thanks!
Michael D. Ivey (Guest)
On Jul 27, 2007, at 9:04 PM, Jeff P. wrote:
> Shane K. wrote:
>> I'm new to textmate also and I was wondering how can you get it to
>> integrate with the Ruby on Rails.
>> I know there is like a "popout with navigation for the folders" - the
>> best way I can describe it.
>>
>> How can I get this?
>
> I'll answer this part.  Choose "New Project" from the File menu and go
> from there...

Or, cd to your app dir in Terminal, and "mate ."
Jeremy McAnally (Guest)
If you installed mySQL from the .dmg file, then your "default"
username and password is 'root' with no password on localhost.  No
configuration needed usually.

If you compiled it, I'm not sure, but you could try connecting with
the same credentials and see what happens... :)

--Jeremy

On 7/27/07, Shane K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> installed the fix for Mac OS X). I assume that I just tell it to connect
>
> Cheers
> --

http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

My free Ruby e-book:

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/
Faisal N Jawdat (Guest)
While we're on the subject of Rails and Textmate, does anyone have a
bundle recipe to trigger a 'rake test' without having to pick 'test'
from the menu of allowed tasks?  Really I'd like to be able to hit a
single keyboard shortcut and have it happen.

Failing that I'll eventually get around to writing my own, but why
debug the newly reinvented wheel.

-faisal
Ben G. (Guest)
There's about an hour long peepcode screencast about using Textmate
with RoR that covers justa bout anything you could possibly imagine.
You might check it out. Made me want to buy a mac... :P

On Jul 27, 4:53 pm, Shane K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Phlip (Guest)
Faisal N Jawdat wrote:

> While we're on the subject of Rails and Textmate, does anyone have a
> bundle recipe to trigger a 'rake test' without having to pick 'test'
> from the menu of allowed tasks?  Really I'd like to be able to hit a
> single keyboard shortcut and have it happen.

We did this trick:

 - declare a keystroke, F5, that does nothing
 - set the keystroke to "save all files" first
 - run trigger.rb in a shell next to the editor (on another monitor)
 - trigger.rb detects when any file gets saved
 - the trigger doesn't run test:recent. It uses test:svn_modified

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/ms...

> Failing that I'll eventually get around to writing my own, but why
> debug the newly reinvented wheel.

Ask, and ye shall be blogged!

http://phlip.eblogs.com/2007/01/02/growl-driven-development/

--