Forum: Ruby on Rails Starting out?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Shane K. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 18:21
So I've decided to use MySQL, Cocoa MySQL and Apache.

What now?

I've been looking at Dreamhost as I have hosting with them already and
I've been wondering is it hard to get a RoR from my local
(development/testing machine) to the web.

What are the most common complications that are run into by new users?
Any advice on the learning path to take? - What did you find the
easiest?
Brian H. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 19:56
(Received via mailing list)
If you're developing from scratch I recommend you leave Apache out of
the
picture entirely and use script/server to develop.

Read the excellent Agile Web D. with Rails to learn how to
build
your first app. It's a must read, and is something you will always be
referred to when asking questions here.

When it comes time to deploy on Dreamhost, it's not a trivial task.
Dreamhost has a wiki page for Rails that shows how to do it (and how
complicated it can get.)

There are better hosts available, but you can research that later. Focus
on
building your app locally. Once you understand how Rails works,
deployment
becomes easier.

And don't forget to ask for help! :)
Shane K. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 20:26
Brian H. wrote:
> If you're developing from scratch I recommend you leave Apache out of
> the
> picture entirely and use script/server to develop.
>
> Read the excellent Agile Web D. with Rails to learn how to
> build
> your first app. It's a must read, and is something you will always be
> referred to when asking questions here.
>
> When it comes time to deploy on Dreamhost, it's not a trivial task.
> Dreamhost has a wiki page for Rails that shows how to do it (and how
> complicated it can get.)
>
> There are better hosts available, but you can research that later. Focus
> on
> building your app locally. Once you understand how Rails works,
> deployment
> becomes easier.
>
> And don't forget to ask for help! :)


Thanks for the reply.

I have been looking at a few screencasts etc. and It seems pretty
straight forward to set up.

I'll follow the installation instrucations for Ruby on Rails on the
site.

About the book:
Do you think that I am best to start with this book rather than swamping
myself down with several different ones?


One more question regarding Oracle & Ruby on Rails:
How is it compared to MySQL, what are the advantages and disadvantages
to someone starting out? - I'm assuming that you can do this right?
Brian H. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 21:12
(Received via mailing list)
> About the book:
> Do you think that I am best to start with this book rather than swamping
> myself down with several different ones?


It's the only one I recommend if you're starting. Other books to read
afterwards would be Ruby for Rails by David Black.


One more question regarding Oracle & Ruby on Rails:
> How is it compared to MySQL, what are the advantages and disadvantages
> to someone starting out? - I'm assuming that you can do this right?



Rails loves MySQL and that will be the easiest thing to start with.
Oracle,
MS Sql Server, SQLite3 (one of my favorites for starting projects), and
DB2
are all supported.

I won't go into advantages and disadvantages of database systems cos
that,
in my opinion, is mostly opinion. I've done administration of Oracle,
SQL
Server, and MySQL before, and I can honestly say I really like MySQL if
given the choice between those three, just cos it's easier to do things
with.

Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
snacktime (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 21:17
(Received via mailing list)
> One more question regarding Oracle & Ruby on Rails:
> How is it compared to MySQL, what are the advantages and disadvantages
> to someone starting out? - I'm assuming that you can do this right?

The advantage of using mysql with rails is that it's by far the most
stable and well tested.    Personally I use Postgresql,  but I've ran
into a few bugs over the last couple of years.  One critical, the rest
not really important.   I'm not sure about the state of Oracle, but
you might run into a few issues here and there.

Chris
Serengeti (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 21:21
(Received via mailing list)
I would agree with everything Brian has said.

I will add this:

My biggest challenge starting out was doing development on Windows and
deploying to Linux.  I eventually figured out how to configure things,
but it took a lot of trial and error.  Do as Brian suggested and get
comfortable working with RoR in your development environment, but DO
NOT wait until you have a complete app ready to start messing with
deployment.  Give yourself plenty of time to learn the ins and outs of
deployment.

Good luck!
Michael G. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 21:39
(Received via mailing list)
On Jul 27, 2007, at 12:16 , snacktime wrote:

> Personally I use Postgresql,  but I've ran
> into a few bugs over the last couple of years.  One critical, the rest
> not really important.

Care to elaborate?

Michael G.
grzm seespotcode net
Brian H. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 21:39
(Received via mailing list)
>
> Do as Brian suggested and get
> comfortable working with RoR in your development environment, but DO
> NOT wait until you have a complete app ready to start messing with
> deployment.  Give yourself plenty of time to learn the ins and outs of
> deployment.


I don't necessarily mean 'wait till you're done to worry about
deployment"
but deployment will go much easier once you have an app that works, and
you
understand what questions to ask. There are a ton of different ways to
deploy Rails applications, and each has their ups and downs. However,
I've
found that the experts are more willing to help you if you already have
a
solid understanding of how Rails works.

The other reason I say to put off deployment till later is that people
new
to Rails tend to think that Rails is just like PHP, and they get really
frustrated when they find out that deployment isn't exactly easy. I'd
hate
to see someone become frustrated with Rails and not learn it at all just
because they hear that deployment is hard (or that their shared host
makes
it harder than it needs to be - looking at you, Dreamhost.)
Serengeti (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 21:48
(Received via mailing list)
Brian--

Your clarifications make sense.

Had I known how hard (number of hours) it was going to be to get my
first app deployed I might have given up -- but I'm glad I didn't!  I
have my first app successfully deployed (a fairly simple knowledge
base for a small software company) and (now that I understand it) I
love how easy it is for me to test and deploy updates.

I am in that category of people who spent years developing PHP+MySQL
apps.  I would not go back...
Shane K. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 22:03
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

This seems to by a very encouraging community (The entire Ruby on Rails
community) in comparison to others out there.

I really appreciate the advice as anyone starting out would.

Motivates me even more.

Now, to stop talking and get down to it!
Its gonna be a long weekend!

:)
snacktime (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 22:37
(Received via mailing list)
On 7/27/07, Michael G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>
> On Jul 27, 2007, at 12:16 , snacktime wrote:
>
> > Personally I use Postgresql,  but I've ran
> > into a few bugs over the last couple of years.  One critical, the rest
> > not really important.
>
> Care to elaborate?

There was one a while back with numeric/float types (can't remember
which one) that I had to monkey patch or it would completely break.
Now it's just mainly the bugs with trying to clone/dup objects that
don't support clone/dup.  Causes a lot of (caught) exceptions to flow
across the screen, but it's harmless as far as I can tell.


Chris
Shane K. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 22:39
I'm using Mac OS X so I assume that I'll be needing this:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/

Is that correct?

I just want to make sure everything is up to date.
Mitch P. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 22:57
(Received via mailing list)
On Jul 27, 2007, at 14:39 , Shane K. wrote:

> I'm using Mac OS X so I assume that I'll be needing this:
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/
>
> Is that correct?

Yup, and the article on setting everything up at HiveLogic is nice too:

http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles/ruby-rails...

-- Mitch
Shane K. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 22:57
Shane K. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 22:58
Mitch P. wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2007, at 14:39 , Shane K. wrote:
>
>> I'm using Mac OS X so I assume that I'll be needing this:
>> http://www.ruby-lang.org/
>>
>> Is that correct?
>
> Yup, and the article on setting everything up at HiveLogic is nice too:
>
> http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles/ruby-rails...
>
> -- Mitch


Thanks!
(Guest)
on 2007-07-27 23:02
(Received via mailing list)
On Jul 27, 11:58 am, Shane K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> >http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles/ruby-rails...
>
> > -- Mitch
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.

this was a good thread a couple last week.  2 or 3 good books on ruby
and rails will save you a lot of anguish.

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/br...
Shane K. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 23:16
I'm finding that when I am installing the latest version of Ruby its not
working.
-------------------
"You should see something like this:

ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i686-darwin8.9.1]
Don’t worry about the text in the parenthesis or brackets, those just
provide detail about your system architecture which isn’t important
here. What is important is that you see ruby 1.8.6. This means you’ve
got the new version of Ruby installed and in your path, and you’re good
to go.

If you see something like this:

ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25)
Then either your install failed, or you didn’t correctly set your path
in the beginning (maybe you didn’t reload your .bash_login script or
restart Terminal). Go back and check your work."
--------------------
I seem to be always getting 1.8.2 ?

This can't be right.

Obviously I must be doing something wrong but I have gone through the
process now 3 times and I'm still getting the same problem.

Any suggestions?


When I ran the command:
mate ~/.bash_login

Textmate did open with a blank file and I copied in this line and saved
it:
export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:$PATH"


Can anyone spot any mistakes there? - I even copied and pasted it.

This then left me with a document with JUST this line of text. I clicked
on file and save and ran:
. ~/.bash_login

I got no response for the above command - So I am assuming that this is
right.

I doubt very much there are errors in this article, I'd say alot of
people have used it.

Any suggestions? - Common mistakes maybe?
Shane K. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 23:40
Got it!

Some of the code to be copied from the "text box" doesn't copy right.

Easier to type it yourself.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.