Forum: Ruby Help with updating to 1.8.6

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Peter B. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 17:17
Hi,
I need help. I've updated to 1.8.6, but, I've lost some stuff I had. I
thought I'd copied all of my "object" files I'd created and then copied
them back in, ut, I obviously forgot some of them. So, I'm dealing with
that. But, this morning I'm getting an error in a script that it can't
find KirbyBase. That's the first gem I re-install as soon as I ever
update Ruby. Why can't it see it? I've noticed that, with this version
of Ruby, using the Windows one-click installer, I have to manually put
the Ruby path in for my server now. It's not automatic. Is there any gem
or anything that can help with these updates, where, all existing gems
are either maintained or automatically re-loaded, instead of absolutely
everything being blown away??

Thanks,
Peter
Gordon T. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 18:41
(Received via mailing list)
> Why can't it see it? I've noticed that, with this version
> of Ruby, using the Windows one-click installer, I have to manually put
> the Ruby path in for my server now. It's not automatic.

This has happened to me before with an upgrade, I'm not sure why.  It
may have also removed the RUBYOPT environment variable, which might
explain why you can't find your gem.  Check to see if RUBYOPT is set
to -rubygems.  The other option is to add require 'rubygems' to all of
your code.  I think that's how it's done on other platforms.

> Is there any gem
> or anything that can help with these updates, where, all existing gems
> are either maintained or automatically re-loaded, instead of absolutely
> everything being blown away??

I generally just install to a new location, like ruby185, ruby186.
Then I can just copy the gems directory over to the new location.  Not
sure if this is the standard or best practice, but it works for me.
Peter B. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 18:49
Gordon T. wrote:
>> Why can't it see it? I've noticed that, with this version
>> of Ruby, using the Windows one-click installer, I have to manually put
>> the Ruby path in for my server now. It's not automatic.
>
> This has happened to me before with an upgrade, I'm not sure why.  It
> may have also removed the RUBYOPT environment variable, which might
> explain why you can't find your gem.  Check to see if RUBYOPT is set
> to -rubygems.  The other option is to add require 'rubygems' to all of
> your code.  I think that's how it's done on other platforms.
>
>> Is there any gem
>> or anything that can help with these updates, where, all existing gems
>> are either maintained or automatically re-loaded, instead of absolutely
>> everything being blown away??
>
> I generally just install to a new location, like ruby185, ruby186.
> Then I can just copy the gems directory over to the new location.  Not
> sure if this is the standard or best practice, but it works for me.

Thanks a lot, Gordon. Yes, it works now, by me putting 'require
rubygems' at the top of my script. I also set an environment variable by
doing "set RUBYOPT = -rubygems." That alone didn't seem to do it; the
"require" fixed it.

-Peter
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.