Forum: Ruby on Rails SSH database configuration

Alvaro P. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 15:02
How can I configure Rails to connect to a database via SSH? In the
config file we have:

development:
  adapter:
  database:
  username:
  password:
  host:

No connection type, ssh port...

Thank you,
Alvaro.
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 27 Jul 2007, at 13:02, Alvaro P. wrote:

> No connection type, ssh port...
Why don't you use ssh port forwarding or a reverse ssh tunnel
(depending on your needs). Make sure the tunnel is created at startup.

Reverse SSH tunneling can be a very interesting solution if the
target server is behind a firewall. I'm using autossh to tunnel some
of our customers' pcs to our server and it works just great (autossh
will restore the ssh tunnel if the connection drops etc.).

You can then just connect to 127.0.0.1 on a port of your preference.

Lots of articles on ssh port forwarding around the net: http://
www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=ssh+port
+forwarding&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Reverse ssh tunneling: http://www.google.com/search?
client=safari&rls=en&q=reverse+ssh+tunneling+autossh&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Alvaro P. (Guest)
on 2007-07-27 16:19
Peter,

I've used Putty (as I'm on a Windows machine) to create a SSH tunnel and
it works very fine. Thank you very much for thye idea.

Regards,
Alvaro

Peter De Berdt wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2007, at 13:02, Alvaro P. wrote:
>
>> No connection type, ssh port...
> Why don't you use ssh port forwarding or a reverse ssh tunnel
> (depending on your needs). Make sure the tunnel is created at startup.
>
> Reverse SSH tunneling can be a very interesting solution if the
> target server is behind a firewall. I'm using autossh to tunnel some
> of our customers' pcs to our server and it works just great (autossh
> will restore the ssh tunnel if the connection drops etc.).
>
> You can then just connect to 127.0.0.1 on a port of your preference.
>
> Lots of articles on ssh port forwarding around the net: http://
> www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=ssh+port
> +forwarding&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
> Reverse ssh tunneling: http://www.google.com/search?
> client=safari&rls=en&q=reverse+ssh+tunneling+autossh&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
>

> Best regards
>
> Peter De Berdt
Robby R. (Guest)
Alvaro P. wrote:
> No connection type, ssh port...
>
> Thank you,
> Alvaro.

Do you mean a SSH Tunnel?

* http://docs.planetargon.com/PostgreSQL_SSH_Tunnel
* http://docs.planetargon.com/MySQL_SSH_Tunnel

Good luck!

Robby

--
Robby R.
http://www.robbyonrails.com/

Thanks!

Robby R. wrote:
> Alvaro P. wrote:
>> No connection type, ssh port...
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Alvaro.
>
> Do you mean a SSH Tunnel?
>
> * http://docs.planetargon.com/PostgreSQL_SSH_Tunnel
> * http://docs.planetargon.com/MySQL_SSH_Tunnel
>
> Good luck!
>
> Robby
>

> --
> Robby R.
> http://www.robbyonrails.com/
> http://www.planetargon.com/
snacktime (Guest)
What database are you using?  If possible I would try to use a native
secure link such as ssl with authentication, much more efficient.
Postgresql for example can use ssl with client authentication.  Not
sure about mysql.

Chris