Forum: Ruby Ruby error - cannot find ruby gem active record

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
unknown (Guest)
on 2007-07-25 21:18
(Received via mailing list)
I get the following error message

C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:251:in
`report_activate_error': Could not find RubyGem activerecord (>=
0.0.0) (Gem::LoadError)
  from C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:188:in
`activate'
  from C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:66:in
`active_gem_with_options'
  from C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:59:in
`require_gem'
  from C:/RadRails/workspace/album/my_ruby_code.rb:1

When I try execute the following piece of code

require_gem "activerecord"

class Photo < ActiveRecord::Base
end

Photo.establish_connection(
  :adapter => "mysql", :database => "album_development")

for column in Photo.columns
  print column.name, "\t"
end

puts
puts

for photo in Photo.find(:all)
  for column in Photo.columns
    print photo.send(column.name), "\t"
  end
  puts
end

I suspect it's a class path problem or a bug in the version I am using
which is the 1.8.4 stable version

If anyone can help, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Todd B. (Guest)
on 2007-07-25 21:27
(Received via mailing list)
On 7/25/07, removed_email_address@domain.invalid 
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> `require_gem'
>         from C:/RadRails/workspace/album/my_ruby_code.rb:1
>
> When I try execute the following piece of code
>
> require_gem "activerecord"

Use: requre "active_record"

Todd
unknown (Guest)
on 2007-07-25 21:46
(Received via mailing list)
On Jul 25, 1:26 pm, "Todd B." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > `activate'
> Use: requre "active_record"
>
> Todd

Thanks for the quick response

I landed up running gem install activerecord --include dependencies
and I got it to work but there was an error at the end

Gem not found exception could not find dependencies. Do you know what
this would mean?

Also When i installed the Gem package - shouldn't it automatically
install active record?
Todd B. (Guest)
on 2007-07-26 00:16
(Received via mailing list)
On 7/25/07, removed_email_address@domain.invalid 
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Also When i installed the Gem package - shouldn't it automatically
> install active record?

I am not sure about your set up.  Are you saying the command "gem
install activerecord" worked fine, but you are having trouble
requiring the gem in your code?  Or are you saying that you can load
the gem, but get an error when you try to use it.  What is your OS?
Are you requiring 'rubygems' first?

Here's what I did...

gem install activerecord

Then, in irb...
irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'postgres'  #I require this because I'm using
postgresql
=> true
irb(main):003:0> require 'active_record'
=> true

And then, smooth sailing from there on.  Where in this process are you
getting an error?
unknown (Guest)
on 2007-07-26 07:55
(Received via mailing list)
On Jul 25, 4:15 pm, "Todd B." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > this would mean?
> Here's what I did...
> => true
>
> And then, smooth sailing from there on.  Where in this process are you
> getting an error?

Things seem to have gotten worse for me. I had it working at one point
now i have installed everything from scratch again nad I get the
following error - i am running windows

C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/
vendor/mysql.rb:111:in `initialize': Bad file descriptor - connect(2)
(Errno::EBADF)
  from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/vendor/mysql.rb:111:in `real_connect'
  from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:389:in `connect'
  from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:152:in `initialize'
  from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:82:in
`mysql_connection'
  from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:
262:in `connection_without_query_cache='
  from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/query_cache.rb:54:in `connection='
  from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:
230:in `retrieve_connection'
  from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:
78:in `connection'
  from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
active_record/base.rb:763:in `columns'
  from C:/RadRails/workspace/album/my_ruby_code.rb:9


I installed ruby 1.8.4-20 into c:\ruby
I then installed rails using gem insall rails -r -y
I have the preference in RadRails set correctly to point to these
directories but it seems as though it's looking for active record in a
different directory or something

Boy this sure is frustrating

thanks
jack
Todd B. (Guest)
on 2007-07-26 08:23
(Received via mailing list)
On 7/25/07, removed_email_address@domain.invalid 
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:389:in `connect'
>         from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/
> I installed ruby 1.8.4-20 into c:\ruby
> I then installed rails using gem insall rails -r -y
> I have the preference in RadRails set correctly to point to these
> directories but it seems as though it's looking for active record in a
> different directory or something

No, this is a connection error.  I can reproduce this by establishing
a connection with 'mysql' (even though I don't have MySQL installed).
Then, when I try to query through ActiveRecord, it gives me that
error.

Check
- your database.yml file
- that your mysql server is running
Jacko (Guest)
on 2007-07-26 08:45
(Received via mailing list)
On Jul 26, 12:22 am, "Todd B." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > (Errno::EBADF)
> > active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:
> > active_record/base.rb:763:in `columns'
> Then, when I try to query through ActiveRecord, it gives me that
> error.
>
> Check
> - your database.yml file
> - that your mysql server is running

that could be it, i will check that right away, thanks
Jacko (Guest)
on 2007-07-26 10:56
(Received via mailing list)
On Jul 26, 12:22 am, "Todd B." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > (Errno::EBADF)
> > active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:
> > active_record/base.rb:763:in `columns'
> Then, when I try to query through ActiveRecord, it gives me that
> error.
>
> Check
> - your database.yml file
> - that your mysql server is running

I got it to work eventually, couple problems but the main thing is
that i had to change the way you include the active record gem to as
follows

gem "activerecord"
require "active_record"

An earlier version of ruby may have worked with the require_gem
"activerecord"

thanks so much for your help, one of the problems i had was that I had
not started the database so you were right.

cheers
jack (long night)
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.