Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 the anticipated ChangeLog discussion

Guillaume C. (Guest)
Masao,

I don't know, maybe you are waiting for me to open the anticipated
ChangeLog discussion? As far as I know, I had made proposals in my
last message about it, I was thinking it would be a starting point for
your views and I was thinking you would respond to it, but maybe I am
wrong about it?

I'm eager to be able to continue working on the new 2.12 symbols :)

--
Guillaume C. - http://zarb.org/~gc/

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:46:27 +0200
"Guillaume C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Masao,
>
> I don't know, maybe you are waiting for me to open the anticipated
> ChangeLog discussion? As far as I know, I had made proposals in my
> last message about it, I was thinking it would be a starting point for
> your views and I was thinking you would respond to it, but maybe I am
> wrong about it?

Hm? As I said, I'm waiting you update Changelog files.

--
.:% Masao M.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 00:21:23 +0900
Masao M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > your views and I was thinking you would respond to it, but maybe I am
> > wrong about it?
>
> Hm? As I said, I'm waiting you update Changelog files.

Oops, you did, right?
I'm sorry I didn't notice it.

OK. Here we go.

My requirement is:

  1. Set the contributer's name to the first line who don't have CVS
account.

And kou's requirement is:

  2. Set the name of first line freely.

Any ideas ?

----
200x-xx-xx  Masao M.  <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>   # First line

        * src/foo.c: ............

--
.:% Masao M.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> > Hm? As I said, I'm waiting you update Changelog files.
>
> Oops, you did, right?

Yes :)

>   2. Set the name of first line freely.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> ----
> 200x-xx-xx  Masao M.  <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>   # First line
>
>         * src/foo.c: ............

My idea: it is possible for:

- you to continue with your method
- me to auto-generate ChangeLog entries with cvs2cl

*if* you (actually, every commiter) accept to add the time for each
timestamp entry. e.g.:

line

        * src/foo.c: ............

Is it possible?

--
Guillaume C. - http://zarb.org/~gc/

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:38:08 +0200
"Guillaume C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > ----
> timestamp entry. e.g.:

>         * src/foo.c: ............
>
> Is it possible?

It's better not to add the time.
Why do you need it?

--
.:% Masao M.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> >         * src/foo.c: ............
> >
> > Is it possible?
>
> It's better not to add the time.
> Why do you need it?

To operator cvs2cl.

A little explanation so that you see the picture: cvs2cl retrieves cvs
log entries from the cvs server. Either it can generate a ChangeLog
out of that (overwriting the existing) or it can add to an existing
ChangeLog.

I cannot use it for overwriting, it would remove your entries with
contributor name instead of your name; also, it takes the wording from
the commit logs and I think most of the time you and others use a
slightly different wording.

To use it for adding to the existing ChangeLog, cvs2cl has to "guess"
where to stop when adding. It uses the timestamp for the commits. With
only the day, it cannot do that (there are potentially a lot of
changes for a single day). It needs the time of the day too.

--
Guillaume C. - http://zarb.org/~gc/

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 13:22:46 +0200
"Guillaume C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > >         * src/foo.c: ............
> out of that (overwriting the existing) or it can add to an existing
> changes for a single day). It needs the time of the day too.
OK. I understood.

I don't like to change anything about ChangeLog.
cvs2cl is not enough to satisfy our requirement.

It's better to find other tools.

Or, I think it's not so hard to implement the tool like cvs2cl.
The tool will insert your CVS log entry(you can  set the author name)
to ChangeLog file.

--
.:% Masao M.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> OK. I understood.
>
> I don't like to change anything about ChangeLog.

Ah, if you want no change at all in ChangeLog, then it was probably
not needed to have any discussion.

> cvs2cl is not enough to satisfy our requirement.
>
> It's better to find other tools.
>
> Or, I think it's not so hard to implement the tool like cvs2cl.
> The tool will insert your CVS log entry(you can  set the author name)
> to ChangeLog file.

I'll see what I can do.

--
Guillaume C. - http://zarb.org/~gc/