Forum: Ruby on Rails The Dreaded Blank Screen

donald.agarrat (Guest)
Hello, I'm Donald.  Fresh from Rails Studio and running Mac OS X
10.4.3 at work.  Installed Locomotive 0.4.1 with both Rails bundles
and MySQL 5.0.13.  My new applications won't do anything.  Blank
browser screens and empty development.log ... but the depot
application from Rails Studio works fine using the same environment
(Rails 0.14.3 with MySQL 5.0.13).

I tried creating MANY simple applications yesterday to no avail.  I
went home and used the same installers on my desktop there and
everything just works.

Any help will not only be appreciated but will be followed up with a
picture of thanks!

Donald
joshpaul (Guest)
Did you also check the system log(s)? I ran into a similar issue a
couple of weeks ago, but I don't recall the solution.
james.adam (Guest)
Clear all your sessions from /tmp (or wherever they hide in windows),
and make double sure that all of the files you are require-ing are
there and can be read.... a liberally peppering of 'puts' statements
should reveal what's causing it to all over.

- james
donald.agarrat (Guest)
A restart was all I needed.  That was really weird.

Donald
dave (Guest)
On Wednesday 23 Nov 2005 00:07, Donald Andrew Agarrat wrote:
> A restart was all I needed.  That was really weird.

It's Webrick.  Webrick is weird, and I still don't know why, but
basically,
when strange, inexplicable stuff happens, restart Webrick, and 9 times
out of
10 it'll fix things!

I find this is especially the case when you've caused some really bad
error
(usually things that are easy to fix), and even more so when the error
is in
your models - Webrick will get hung up on the error (even if you fix it)
and
won't work properly until you restart it.

Webrick is weird.  Luckily the latest version of Rails can use Lighttpd
(if
it's in your path), which is working pretty well for me, so hopefully no
more
Webrick weirdness.

~Dave

--

Dave S.
Rent-A-Monkey Website Development

Should we file this as a bug / feature request?

   - John

On 23/11/2005, at 12:22 PM, Dave S. wrote:

> bad error
> Webrick weirdness.
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

John M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
jakob (Guest)
John M. wrote:
> I had this happen to me a couple of days ago (under lighttpd though).  I
> turned on DB store for sessions, completely forgetting to create  the
> session table (duh) ... blank screen (of death?) and no  indication in
> the logs as to what was going on.

I've had this blank screen happening as well. Running Production mode on
Lighttpd and FastCGI with AR SessionStore, and the application would
occasionally start serving nothing but blank pages. No entries in the
logfiles other than the lighttpd.access.log.

After a swift kick in the restart-gonads the application would start
running again for a random amount of time, then start serving blank
pages again.

I might have fixed it by unfreezing from edge Rails and instead run from
gems. That is, I have seen no blank screens since I did this, but who
knows if they'll show up again.
Mike Palmer (Guest)
on 2005-11-28 12:23
I've been having a similar problem running Webrick. I also noticed that
Webrick was logging an Internal Server error (500). Also strange is that
the Depot app from the Agile book was working prior to this.

I'm running Instant Rails on WinXP SP2.