Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby On Rails - Up and Running

Davi (Guest)
Hi everybody!

  What do you think about this book?
  Do you recommend me to buy it to start in Ruby On Rails programming?
  Do you recommend it for Reference Guide?

  I've a serious problem with on line references... I can't focous my
attention
on my computer screen to read anything. 'Cause this, I've bought "PHP 4
- The
Bible".

  Thanks in advice

--
Davi V.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
--
"Religion, ideology, resources, land,
spite, love or "just because"...

I am new to Ruby, i have the same issue as you are having. I have gone
through multiple sites, books. but i liked Agile web development with
Ruby the most.

it is a great book to start with.

let me know if you need any other information

Thanks

Ajit
Davo (Guest)
Hi Davi,

I have quite a few books and this one is the one I use least - I
thought it was rushed out and I found it of little value to me.

cheers, Dave P.
David O. (Guest)
on 2007-07-24 11:16
Davo wrote:
> Hi Davi,
>
> I have quite a few books and this one is the one I use least - I
> thought it was rushed out and I found it of little value to me.
>
> cheers, Dave P.

I dunno if I'd be *that* harsh... It's an *ok* book but it's more of a
"Nutshell" approach in it's presentation.

Davi, look into the "Agile Web D. with Rails" book from the
Pragmatic Bookshelf.  It's far more comprehensive, IMHO.

http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails2/index.html

DavidO
Khaled H. (Guest)

Starting with this book worked very well with how I like to learn a
new technology. I used it as the 3 days introduction to rails that
take me on a tour of the different basic parts of the framework, then
I picked up a copy of  "Agile Web D. with Rails" which
handled each subject with depth and was structured more like a
reference than a tutorial.

That is my style though, whether a book is good for you or not highly
depends on what you are trying to get out of it.

Khaled
(Guest)
On Jul 23, 12:46 pm, Davi <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>         Hi everybody!
>
>         What do you think about this book?
>         Do you recommend me to buy it to start in Ruby On Rails programming?
>         Do you recommend it for Reference Guide?
>
>         I've a serious problem with on line references... I can't focous my attention
> on my computer screen to read anything. 'Cause this, I've bought "PHP 4 - The
> Bible".

See here
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/br...
schof (Guest)
I agree with several of the comments here.  Its a nice intro but its
also slim on content and rushes through stuff pretty fast.  Think of
it as a very complete online article.  So if you don't mind paying $
for that (I don't) then its worth it.

The other book I have is Ruby for Rails (David Black).  Its pretty
good but I found it did not address some of the simplest questions
that I had.  Strangely enough Up and Running often had what I needed.
The best part of the Ruby for Rails book is the Ruby coverage.  Rails
for Java Developers just arrived at my house today.  I've only read
the first chapter but it looks very promising so far.
Hendy I. (Guest)
Davi,

David Orriss Jr wrote:
> I dunno if I'd be *that* harsh... It's an *ok* book but it's more of a
> "Nutshell" approach in it's presentation.
>
> Davi, look into the "Agile Web D. with Rails" book from the
> Pragmatic Bookshelf.  It's far more comprehensive, IMHO.
>
> http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails2/index.html
>
> DavidO

You may look at my books section : http://rails.rainbowpurple.com/books
and the posts tagged as Books.

Agile Web D. with Rails Second Edition is probably best, and
also uptodate with Rails 1.2. Beginning Series from Apress (Ruby, Ruby
on Rails, Ruby on Rails E-commerce) are very friendly to beginners.

Never buy an old book on Rails. For some (obvious?) reasons books got
obsoleted by Rails and other plugins pretty fast. Make sure you use the
Rails version and plugins matching the ones from the book while
_learning_.

While actually developing though, the resources on the net is the best
way to update yourself. Plugins come and go, some got unmaintained etc.
The landscape is changing pretty constantly. Google Reader, along with
sites such as PlanetRubyOnRails.org|.com (and of course, as a shameless
plug, RubyInside.com) are your best friends :-)

--
Hendy I.
www.hendyirawan.com

> See here
> http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/br...
>b15fa6d/#

  Thank you very much for the replys.
  I forgot to search on the archives. Sorry.

  Probably I'll buy both "Ruby On Rails - Up and Running" and "Agile Web
Development With Rails".

  Thanks to all.