Forum: Ruby on Rails what are these called?

Announcement (2017-05-07): is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see and for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Bahadır D. (Guest)
on 2007-07-23 02:47

I've looking at a tutorial in a web page and i saw a sample:

  def logout
    session[:user] = nil
    redirect_to :controller => :user, :action => :index

  def register
      @user =[:user])
        redirect_to :action => :account_creation_success, :id => @user

i want to learn the names of these to search and learn about them?

        ":index" and ":account_creation_success"

what are they called?
Mikkel B. (Guest)
on 2007-07-23 11:20
:index and :whatever are called symbols.

The Pickaxe book discusses there in depth.
Steve R. (Guest)
on 2007-07-26 02:46
(Received via mailing list)
This code might not work. These are just symbols, but Rails has
always insisted on strings for controller and action names.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.