Forum: Ruby on Rails gem install mysql fails

Hassan S. (Guest)
I've found other online references to this error:

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

ruby extconf.rb install mysql
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
... blah blah

The most apparently relevant is old, though, from November 2005
  <http://www.rubyforums.com/showthread.php?p=462>
blaming gcc4.

Is this still the case? Does anyone know of an alternative workaround?
Unfortunately I only have gcc4.0.2 on this system (SuSE 10.0 64bit).

TIA,
Bahadır D. (Guest)
on 2007-07-23 01:09

i use debian and i faced with the same problem. i installed the
mysql-lib-dev package and that solved this problem. you can try this
way.

Hassan S. wrote:
> I've found other online references to this error:
>
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
>     ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> ruby extconf.rb install mysql
> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
> ... blah blah
>
> The most apparently relevant is old, though, from November 2005
>   <http://www.rubyforums.com/showthread.php?p=462>
> blaming gcc4.
>
> Is this still the case? Does anyone know of an alternative workaround?
> Unfortunately I only have gcc4.0.2 on this system (SuSE 10.0 64bit).
>
> TIA,
> --
> Hassan S. ------------------------ removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Hassan S. (Guest)
On 7/22/07, Bahadýr Doðan <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> i use debian and i faced with the same problem. i installed the
> mysql-lib-dev package and that solved this problem.

No, I already have all the dev header stuff; what version(s) of gcc are
on your system? Or more to the point, which did you use to compile?

Bahadır D. (Guest)
on 2007-07-23 02:28
I didn't compile it. i get mysql-dev-lib using "apt-get" utility and
then installed mysql gem with "gem install mysql". all is that.

Hassan S. wrote:
> On 7/22/07, Bahad�r Do�an <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> i use debian and i faced with the same problem. i installed the
>> mysql-lib-dev package and that solved this problem.
>
> No, I already have all the dev header stuff; what version(s) of gcc are
> on your system? Or more to the point, which did you use to compile?
>
> --
> Hassan S. ------------------------ removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Hassan S. (Guest)
On 7/22/07, Bahadýr Doðan <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I didn't compile it. i get mysql-dev-lib using "apt-get" utility and
> then installed mysql gem with "gem install mysql". all is that.

'gem install mysql' uses gcc --  what do you get from `which gcc`?

Dave S. (Guest)
Here's what I do on my Centos 4/5 boxes.  After installing mysql and
mysql-devel (using yum), I do this:

gem install mysql (let it fail)
cd /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7
ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config=/usr/bin/mysql_config
make && make install from gem directory

Hope this helps,

Dave
http://www.stevensonsoftware.com - affordable VPS Hosting
http://www.gotossh.com - web based SSH

On Jul 22, 8:35 pm, "Hassan S." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Yaxm Y. (Guest)
on 2007-07-24 08:20
for CentOS,
yum installmysql-devel
gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config=/usr/bin/mysql_config

Dave Stevenson wrote:
> Here's what I do on my Centos 4/5 boxes.  After installing mysql and
> mysql-devel (using yum), I do this:
>
> gem install mysql (let it fail)
> cd /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7
> ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config=/usr/bin/mysql_config
> make && make install from gem directory
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Dave
> http://www.stevensonsoftware.com - affordable VPS Hosting
> http://www.gotossh.com - web based SSH
>

> On Jul 22, 8:35 pm, "Hassan S." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Hassan S. (Guest)

> gem install mysql (let it fail)
> cd /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7
> ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config=/usr/bin/mysql_config
> make && make install from gem directory

! Thanks, that /seemed/ to work, in the sense that  no error messages
were generated :-)

However, when I do a `gem query --local` there's no 'mysql' in the
list -- is that normal?

Having gotten this far I'd like to see the documentation and run the
unit tests...