Forum: Ruby html 2 pdf

David S. (Guest)
Hi

IIs there a gem for converting html to pdf?

I need to build a routine to step through a website and create a pdf
from the
downloaded pages.

Thanks in advance

david Southwell
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
David S. wrote:

If not, you could probably just shell out to the open source htmldoc
http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/. There's a Perl interface you can learn
from, HTML-HTMLDoc
(http://search.cpan.org/~mkfrankl/HTML-HTMLDoc-0.10/). Or you could
build something out of "hpricot" and "pdf-writer".
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 7/18/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> If not, you could probably just shell out to the open source htmldoc
> http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/. There's a Perl interface you can learn
> from, HTML-HTMLDoc

This would probably work pretty good. I've done it before.  A ruby
wrapper for this would be most appreciated, if anyone is looking for a
project!

> (http://search.cpan.org/~mkfrankl/HTML-HTMLDoc-0.10/). Or you could
> build something out of "hpricot" and "pdf-writer".

If you do this, I suggest using Ruport instead of PDF::Writer for your
PDF stuff.  Of course, Ruport just wraps PDF::Writer, but it fixes
some bugs (thanks to Austin Z.) and adds some higher level
features and helps wrap the formatting code.

Some relevant docs if that's feasible for you:

http://rubyreports.org/cheatsheets/formatting.html
http://ruportbook.com/printable_documents.html
http://ruportbook.com/integration.html#pdf_writer_proxy
http://ruportbook.com/renderer_logic.html
John J. (Guest)
On Jul 18, 2007, at 10:17 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

No Good.
It doesn't even fully support HTML 4 !
And no support for stylesheets...?
There must be other alternatives.
OS X has built-in print to PDF (has had for many years) so there must
be GNU tool to do it.
Tanner B. (Guest)
On 7/20/07, John J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >> pdf from the
> > http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/. There's a Perl interface you can learn
> be GNU tool to do it.
Sure, but nothing I'm aware of that doesn't require a full browser
renderer
to work.  The print to PDF feature as I understand it uses a modified
print
"driver" that converts the post script output into a PDF doc instead of
sending it to a printer.  This is a far cry from just taking an
aribtrary
html file and making it a PDF.
Ryan D. (Guest)
On Jul 18, 2007, at 07:56 , David S. wrote:

> IIs there a gem for converting html to pdf?
>
> I need to build a routine to step through a website and create a
> pdf from the
> downloaded pages.

I have one that only works on OSX, but it works well. Lemme know if
you want it and I'll try to dig it up.
Tiffany Sonny (Guest)
I want it:)