Forum: Ruby on Rails ActiveRecord load time

Earle C. (Guest)
on 2007-07-17 23:50
I'm using ActiveRecord outside of Rails.  The time for a script to
execute "require 'active_record'" is about 2.5 seconds on my 666 MHz
machine.  Is there any way to speed it up (aside from a faster
processor)?  Maybe some way to  pre-load ActiveRecord?  The script is
invoked by a user action, so it needs to start quickly.

Thanks,
Earle
Miguel Castro (Guest)
Get a faster machine.
Rick O. (Guest)
On 7/17/07, Earle C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I'm using ActiveRecord outside of Rails.  The time for a script to
> execute "require 'active_record'" is about 2.5 seconds on my 666 MHz
> machine.  Is there any way to speed it up (aside from a faster
> processor)?  Maybe some way to  pre-load ActiveRecord?  The script is
> invoked by a user action, so it needs to start quickly.

You can run it as a separate DRB process, and the user action just
connects with DRB and invokes the action.  Here's a simple Daemon
module so you can manage pids and all that:
http://snippets.dzone.com/posts/show/2265

This is how rails (using mongrel/http or fcgi instead of drb of
course) pre-loads the framework.

--
Rick O.
http://lighthouseapp.com