Forum: Ruby ruby tutorial

Shai R. (Guest)

i've been working with ruby a long time now, and i love the language;
but i feel like i don't really know EVERY little thing there is to know
about it..
i read "Programming Ruby - The Pragramtic Programmers Guide" which was
really a nice read, but ... is there something out there that will
really get down to knitty details?

i've heard about pickaxe, is that worth the read? any other titles you
guys can offer?

tia
Tim H. (Guest)
Shai R. wrote:
> guys can offer?
>
> tia

Look at the cover of your "Pragmatic Programmers' Guide." See the
pickaxe?
Sharon P. (Guest)
> I've heard about pickaxe, is that worth the read? any other titles you
> guys can offer?

Pickaxe is very good as a reference book. Second version in
bookstores, first version available for free online somewhere.
There's also a lot of information buried between the cartoons in
_why's poignant guide.
A few people on this list have made available pdf books which are
quite good also. I'm guessing they'll let you know who they are :)

Cheers,
Dave
Chad P. (Guest)
On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 08:01:54PM +0900, Shai R. wrote:
> guys can offer?
In case Tim's comment was too subtle, I'll be more direct:

"The Pickaxe" is the nickname for "Programming Ruby", because of the
pickaxe on the cover.  It's similar to the way many O'Reilly books are
called by the name of the animal on the cover, like the "Camelid
Trilogy"
of Perl books (the Llama, the Alpaca, and the Camel).

I hear good things about "The Ruby Way", though I haven't read it myself
(yet).  You might consider looking into that as a next book.
Robert D. (Guest)
On 7/17/07, Shai R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> guys can offer?
Well I somehow took the same path, but what really made me advance
<ducking> was this list, which needs some time, and ah yes study this,
it is one of my favorits:
http://www.rubyquiz.com/
Than there are incredible blogs around, I just think about James' and
Rick's but there are many more.
Sometimes reading the source helps too ;)
HTH (a little ).

Robert
Shai R. (Guest)
on 2007-07-17 16:43
Chad P. wrote:
>"The Pickaxe" is the nickname for "Programming Ruby", because of the
>pickaxe on the cover.  It's similar to the way many O'Reilly books are
>called by the name of the animal on the cover, like the "Camelid
>Trilogy"
>of Perl books (the Llama, the Alpaca, and the Camel).

;( nice to know ... i'll check into 'the ruby way'; .. what issues does
this book cover?

Robert D. wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Shai R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> guys can offer?
> Well I somehow took the same path, but what really made me advance
> <ducking> was this list, which needs some time,

(no doubt)

> it is one of my favorits:
> http://www.rubyquiz.com/

seems nice ... i'll definately check into this (already rss'ed)

> Than there are incredible blogs around, I just think about James' and
> Rick's but there are many more.

does anyone have a list of specific addresses for the main best blogs
around?

> Sometimes reading the source helps too ;)

definitely so

...thing is i was hoping to get some pdf / book / reading material that
is readable with no computer; i got some spare time offline that i was
hoping to use to get something printed that i could dig into..
John J. (Guest)
On Jul 17, 2007, at 7:44 AM, Shai R. wrote:

> this book cover?

The Ruby Way covers  a lot of different topics, A LOT. Some are more
in depth than others, but that depends. It is pretty good as almost a
cookbook or a how-to book to get you started on a lot of different
things.
A lot of new Ruby books are coming out every month this year almost.

Check out the web sites of SitePoint, Apress, Manning, Developer's
Library (SAMS), O'Reilly, and Pragmatic Programmers.
Or just find all of it at Amazon. There are many topics that are
still not deeply covered by books, but can be translated from Perl
pretty easily sometimes. The  good news is that most Ruby books are
exceptionally high quality, and usually also available as eBooks at a
discounted price.

John J.
SonOfLilit (Guest)
On 7/17/07, Shai R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Robert D. wrote:
> seems nice ... i'll definately check into this (already rss'ed)
>

> ...thing is i was hoping to get some pdf / book / reading material that
> is readable with no computer; i got some spare time offline that i was
> hoping to use to get something printed that i could dig into..

_why's repository is at code.whytheluckystiff.net .

Print out a few programs from there. There's no better way to learn
Ruby internals.

eigenclass is a great in-depth ruby blog.

Aur
Ari B. (Guest)
On Jul 17, 2007, at 7:42 AM, Chad P. wrote:
<snippz0r>
> myself
> (yet).  You might consider looking into that as a next book.

But avoid buying it (at first). Safari Books Online has the entire
text, so if you dont mind reading things online, you can wander
around to find an account you can use. Often times colleges (ie
Dartmouth) have trust relationships with the site, so if you have a
Dartmouth IP, you are automatically logged in and can read the entire
book online.

aRi
If you want to have a Rails based Ruby tutorial--
i.e. showing you how to exploit ruby features from withing
the Rails framework (as well as very good ruby coverage) you
might look at "Ruby for Rails" by David Black/Manning pub.

David Hansson did the forward....
Seems to cover many things not well explored in some of the
  tutorials

cj:)
yudi (Guest)
Like most folks, I'm learning Ruby and Rails at the same time. I have
bought
the programming ruby and the agile web dev with Rails in PDF format, and
the
Ruby way (2nd edition) in paper book.
Matz's forward to the 2nd edition says the book tries to explain the way
of
Ruby programming (Not just 'how it works' to my understanding). As I did
glimpse through the book, there are tons of examples, tons.

I am a slow reader (and still adapting Dvorak in the mean time). So I am
reading 2 PDF books. As I found something needs practice or more
explanation
(like regular expression to me), I go to find the section in Ruby Way.

2007/7/17, Craig J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
John J. (Guest)
On Jul 17, 2007, at 12:04 PM, Craig J. wrote:

> If you want to have a Rails based Ruby tutorial--
> i.e. showing you how to exploit ruby features from withing
> the Rails framework (as well as very good ruby coverage) you
> might look at "Ruby for Rails" by David Black/Manning pub.
>
> David Hansson did the forward....
> Seems to cover many things not well explored in some of the
>   tutorials

Indeed an excellent book, but needs to be updated badly.
Probably has one of the first good explanations of Ruby symbols, but
recent book Beginning Ruby does it well too.
Mikel L. (Guest)
Man...

On 7/18/07, yudi <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Like most folks, I'm learning Ruby and Rails at the same time. I have bought
> I am a slow reader (and still adapting Dvorak in the mean time). So I am

THAT has got to HURT....  All three at once?  You are a glutton for
punishment :)

Regards

Mikel