Forum: Ruby on Rails Why you are not satisfied with Ruby on Rails IDE's?

(Guest)
Hello,

I see that there were a huge discussions about, what IDE is good and
what is better to use.

Can you tell, what exactly don't you like in IDE's, is it lack of
features or general convinience?
Matthew Rudy J. (Guest)
on 2007-07-17 14:39
I really like Aptana/RadRails,

it takes a while to load,
but has all the convenience functions I need built-in
(rakes, generates, servers)

I work on projects that involve at least 5 dependent projects,
so it's nice to define each "Project" in the IDE,
and avoid navigating my actual subversion structure.

Boom!!!

> Hello,
>
> I see that there were a huge discussions about, what IDE is good and
> what is better to use.
>
> Can you tell, what exactly don't you like in IDE's, is it lack of
> features or general convinience?
Nikolay Kurtov (Guest)
Aptana? personally I don't like it's Data Navigator.

On Jul 17, 5:39 pm, Matthew R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
(Guest)
But I have never seen any analogue of it's Data Navigator. I even
cannot imagine how to improve or replace it. Obviously this thing is
not very good. Maybe somebody will share his opinion about how to
replace this feature, how he would like to see it implemented. I have
to continue using mysql-front
(Guest)
On Jul 17, 3:28 am, "removed_email_address@domain.invalid"
> Hello,
>
> I see that there were a huge discussions about, what IDE is good and
> what is better to use.
>
> Can you tell, what exactly don't you like in IDE's, is it lack of
> features or general convinience?

i was reading this post, which reminded me there'll be a flood of
releases soon: Aptana, IntelliJ, CodeGear, NetBeans, maybe komodo and
textmate

http://www.nullcreations.net/entry/komodo-4-1-beta
(Guest)
Do you know if NetBeans has an analogue of Data Navigator?
James M. (Guest)
I used the data navigator in Aptana/RadRails occasionally, but MySQL
has a perfectly good native one, and presumably Postgres/whatever have
really good native tools as well.  Why is having this in the IDE
useful?  (Am I missing something productive here?)

There is one in NetBeans, but out of the box it only comes with a
JDBC-ODBC Bridge driver.  Not terribly useful, but I've never cared -
I just run the MySQL Query Browser, or a command line.

 - James M.
Robin H. (Guest)
on 2007-07-31 20:53
I am using Aptana/RadRails.  I have become spoiled by Eclipse for Java
because you can F3 (Open Declaration) on any function name or variable
name and it's declaration is opened up for you.  I don't think this
functionality exists in RadRails as far as I can tell.

> Hello,
>
> I see that there were a huge discussions about, what IDE is good and
> what is better to use.
>
> Can you tell, what exactly don't you like in IDE's, is it lack of
> features or general convinience?
Pascal F. (Guest)
aptana for rails,
heidi sql for database manipulation

over and out!

On Jul 31, 6:53 pm, "Robin H." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Michael S. (Guest)
In NetBeans you can control-click on a method name and it opens the
file that contains the method definition with the cursor positioned at
the start of the definition. Very helpful!

Michael
www.mslater.com

On Jul 31, 9:53 am, "Robin H." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Michael S. (Guest)
As a DB interface, I like SQLyog as a MySQL GUI (on Windows) -- lots
of useful features, including built-in SSH tunneling (if you get the
paid version) and synchronization between dbs.

Michael
www.mslater.com