Forum: Ruby memcache wrapper testing

David W. (Guest)
on 2007-07-17 03:17
I have a wrapper class for memcache-client (adds a little extra
functionality for something specific I need). Does anyone have any good
ideas for how to do unit testing on it?

The issue I have is that the memcache will become full of data from each
functional test I run. It would be nice to have a "clean slate" each
time I run. To me, the obvious thing would be to start and stop a
memcached server for each of my tests, but that seems like a major pain.
Is there something I'm missing like a clear_memcache function or
something?

Thanks!
Chris W. (Guest)
On 7/16/07, David W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I have a wrapper class for memcache-client (adds a little extra
> functionality for something specific I need). Does anyone have any good
> ideas for how to do unit testing on it?

Use mocks.  Check the cache_fu tests, which run against mocks and a
real memcached server.

http://require.errtheblog.com/plugins/browser/cache_fu
Eric H. (Guest)
On Jul 16, 2007, at 16:18, David W. wrote:

> pain.
> Is there something I'm missing like a clear_memcache function or
> something?

Look at how the memcache-client tests are written.  They never touch
a server.