Forum: Ruby How can I get the Ruby version from within a Ruby script?

Paul (Guest)
I want to log the current Ruby version to a log file along with the
script version, but I don't know how to get the Ruby version from
within a running script.

I tried:
   puts system("ruby -v")

but that only returns "true" from within a script.  (I see the correct
output when I run it in IRB, but the script doesn't capture that.)

I also tried :
   puts Config::CONFIG["ruby_version"]

but that returns "1.8" and I would like "1.8.x".

Any suggestions?  Please let me know.  Thanks.
Phil M. (Guest)
Paul schrieb:
> I want to log the current Ruby version to a log file along with the
> script version, but I don't know how to get the Ruby version from
> within a running script.

Just use constant RUBY_VERSION.

puts RUBY_VERSION
=> 1.8.6
John J. (Guest)
On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Paul wrote:

> I also tried :
>    puts Config::CONFIG["ruby_version"]
>
> but that returns "1.8" and I would like "1.8.x".
>
> Any suggestions?  Please let me know.  Thanks.

the constant VERSION will return the version number (only)
puts "Ruby version #{VERSION}"
Stefano C. (Guest)
Alle lunedì 16 luglio 2007, Paul ha scritto:
> I also tried :
>    puts Config::CONFIG["ruby_version"]
>
> but that returns "1.8" and I would like "1.8.x".
>
> Any suggestions?  Please let me know.  Thanks.

You can try

  puts(RUBY_VERSION)

By the way, if you need to get the output of an external command, you
need to
use `cmd`, instead of system("cmd").

Stefano
Axel E. (Guest)
Paul,

this works for me:

result= `ruby -v`
p 'my result'
p result

Best regards,

Axel
Paul K. (Guest)
On Jul 16, 2007, at 8:57 AM, Axel E. wrote:

> this works for me:
>
> result= `ruby -v`
> p 'my result'
> p result

Unfortunately, this grabs the version of some Ruby, not necessarily
the one currently running. The RUBY_VERSION constant is what you
probably want.

Paul K. (A different Paul than the OP)
Paul (Guest)
On Jul 16, 11:13 am, Phil M. wrote:

> Just use constant RUBY_VERSION.
>
> puts RUBY_VERSION
> => 1.8.6

That's perfect!  Thank you.

I don't know why Google didn't turn that up anywhere.  I even checked
the Pickaxe book but I didn't find it under "V" for 'version'.

Cheers!
Robert K. (Guest)
On 16.07.2007 19:16, Paul wrote:
> On Jul 16, 11:13 am, Phil M. wrote:
>> Just use constant RUBY_VERSION.
>>
>> puts RUBY_VERSION
>> => 1.8.6
>
> That's perfect!  Thank you.
>
> I don't know why Google didn't turn that up anywhere.  I even checked
> the Pickaxe book but I didn't find it under "V" for 'version'.

Since the version is a good candidate for a constant you can try this:

Robert@Babelfish2 ~
$ ruby -e 'Object.constants.sort.each {|c| cv=Object.const_get(c); print
c, "=", cv, "\n" unless Module === cv}'
ARGF=ARGF
ARGV=
ENV=ENV