Forum: Ruby attr_writer and hash

aidy (Guest)

class Test
 attr_writer :username, :password
  def initialize
    h = {:username => 'user', :password => 'pass'}

t = Test.new
p t.h[username]

I am trying to access a hash key after instantiating the Test class,
but I am having a slight problem.

Could someone please direct me?

Thanks

Aidy
Todd B. (Guest)
On 7/14/07, aidy <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> p t.h[username]
>

> I am trying to access a hash key after instantiating the Test class,
> but I am having a slight problem.
>
> Could someone please direct me?
>
> Thanks
>
> Aidy

class Test
  attr_accessor :h
  def initialize
    @h = { :username => 'user', :password => 'pass }

attr_accessor means you can read and write to the object.  The object
in this case is the hash, not the key or value.  Does that make sense?

hth,
Todd
Sharon P. (Guest)
> p t.h[username]
>

> I am trying to access a hash key after instantiating the Test class,
> but I am having a slight problem.
>
> Could someone please direct me?
>
> Thanks
>
> Aidy

Hi Aidy,

It looks like you're mixing two different ways of getting at username
and password here.
Here are two separate approaches you could try

class Test
   attr_accessor :username, :password

   def initialize
     @username= 'user'
     @password= 'pass'

t= Test.new
puts t.username
puts t.password

class Test2
   attr_accessor :details

   def initialize
     @details= {:username => 'user', :password => 'pass'}

t= Test2.new
puts t.details[:username]
puts t.details[:password]

I think the problem with your code is a missing colon before
username. Should be p t.h[:username]

Cheers,
Dave