Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 RVAL2CBOOL vs RTEST

Guillaume C. (Guest)
I've counted 88 uses of RVAL2CBOOL and 401 uses of RTEST in the code.
As RVAL2CBOOL is defined to use RTEST, I think we should should choose
either one, and then use only one form. RTEST is more rubyish but
RVAL2CBOOL makes sense as long as we also use CBOOL2RVAL.

What do you think?

--
Guillaume C. - http://zarb.org/~gc/

Hi

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:10:55 +0200
"Guillaume C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I've counted 88 uses of RVAL2CBOOL and 401 uses of RTEST in the code.
> As RVAL2CBOOL is defined to use RTEST, I think we should should choose
> either one, and then use only one form. RTEST is more rubyish but
> RVAL2CBOOL makes sense as long as we also use CBOOL2RVAL.
>
> What do you think?

RVAL2CBOOL is better.

--
.:% Masao M.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> > What do you think?
>
> RVAL2CBOOL is better.

May I go ahead and substitute all uses of RTEST by uses of RVAL2CBOOL?

--
Guillaume C. - http://zarb.org/~gc/

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:29:18 +0200
"Guillaume C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > > What do you think?
> >
> > RVAL2CBOOL is better.
>
> May I go ahead and substitute all uses of RTEST by uses of RVAL2CBOOL?

Yes. Please send your patch here like CBOOL2RVAL.
I'll check it.

Thanks in advance.

--
.:% Masao M.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> > May I go ahead and substitute all uses of RTEST by uses of RVAL2CBOOL?
>
> Yes. Please send your patch here like CBOOL2RVAL.
> I'll check it.

Attached. But it's rather long :)
Masao M. (Guest)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:59:08 +0200
"Guillaume C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > > May I go ahead and substitute all uses of RTEST by uses of RVAL2CBOOL?
> >
> > Yes. Please send your patch here like CBOOL2RVAL.
> > I'll check it.
>
> Attached. But it's rather long :)

I could check 20% of the file :-<.
Did you convert them automatically by tool(perl?) ?

If so, I think it's no problem. Check it in CVS, please.

--
.:% Masao M.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> I could check 20% of the file :-<.
> Did you convert them automatically by tool(perl?) ?

Yes:

# perl -pi -e 's/\bRTEST\b/RVAL2CBOOL/g' `find -name *.c`

With the \b word boundaries, and checking that it compiles well, there
should be little reasons for bugs :)

> If so, I think it's no problem. Check it in CVS, please.

Thanks!

--
Guillaume C. - http://zarb.org/~gc/

Hi Guillaume,

Thanks. But update ChangeLogs by hand, please.

I'm afraid your changes will be forgot by me.
Because I won't use cvs tools to update NEWS/Changelogs.

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:06:06 +0200
"Guillaume C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > If so, I think it's no problem. Check it in CVS, please.
> http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/

.:% Masao M.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> Hi Guillaume,
>
> Thanks. But update ChangeLogs by hand, please.
>
> I'm afraid your changes will be forgot by me.

Don't worry, I plan to update ChangeLog will all the missing entries
once we can decide what to do about it. For that to progress, please
see my latest mail in the appropriate thread, I'm written a proposal
about it. You may reply and tell what you think about it.

--
Guillaume C. - http://zarb.org/~gc/

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:27:43 +0200
"Guillaume C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> about it. You may reply and tell what you think about it.
As I said, I don't change the policy now.

--
.:% Masao M.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> > Don't worry, I plan to update ChangeLog will all the missing entries
> > once we can decide what to do about it. For that to progress, please
> > see my latest mail in the appropriate thread, I'm written a proposal
> > about it. You may reply and tell what you think about it.
>
> As I said, I don't change the policy now.

It's not even possible to consider adding the time next to the date
for each changelog entry?

--
Guillaume C. - http://zarb.org/~gc/

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:33:35 +0200
"Guillaume C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > > Don't worry, I plan to update ChangeLog will all the missing entries
> > > once we can decide what to do about it. For that to progress, please
> > > see my latest mail in the appropriate thread, I'm written a proposal
> > > about it. You may reply and tell what you think about it.
> >
> > As I said, I don't change the policy now.
>
> It's not even possible to consider adding the time next to the date
> for each changelog entry?

If you want to discuss about it, I welcome it.
But the discussion will start after you keep to follow our current rule
first.

--
.:% Masao M.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

From: Masao M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:23:24 +0900

> > What do you think?
>
> RVAL2CBOOL is better.

I think RTEST is better.

RTEST is well-known to ruby programmers and using existing name
enables utilization of their knowledge compared with using invented
new name.

-- Masahiro S.

> > It's not even possible to consider adding the time next to the date
> > for each changelog entry?
>
> If you want to discuss about it, I welcome it.
> But the discussion will start after you keep to follow our current rule first.

It's not logical, because it makes me do something now, which will
maybe be useless once the discussion is finished.. But you're the
boss, so be it.

--
Guillaume C. - http://zarb.org/~gc/

http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/