Forum: Ruby Undocumented argument on Object#methods

Stefan R. (Guest)
on 2007-07-13 14:17
Due to a discussion in irc.freenode.org#ruby I stumbled over an
undocumented argument to Object#method. My suggested fix to the
documentation is below, or was it left out intentionally?

Regards
Stefan

in object.c:
/*
 *  call-seq:
 *     obj.methods(singleton=true)    => array
 *
 *  Returns a list of the names of methods publicly accessible in
 *  <i>obj</i>. This will include all the methods accessible in
 *  <i>obj</i>'s ancestors.
 *  If singleton is set to false, it will return an array of
<i>obj</i>'s
 *  singleton methods.
 *
 *     class Klass
 *       def kMethod()
 *       end
 *     end
 *     k = Klass.new
 *     k.methods[0..9]    #=> ["kMethod", "freeze", "nil?", "is_a?",
 *                             "class", "instance_variable_set",
 *                              "methods", "extend", "__send__",
"instance_eval"]
 *     k.methods.length   #=> 42
 *     def k.kSingletonMethod; end
 *     k.methods(false)   # => ["kSingletonMethod"]
 */
Jano S. (Guest)
On 7/13/07, Stefan R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>  *     obj.methods(singleton=true)    => array
>  *       end
>  *     end
>  *     k = Klass.new
>  *     k.methods[0..9]    #=> ["kMethod", "freeze", "nil?", "is_a?",
>  *                             "class", "instance_variable_set",
>  *                              "methods", "extend", "__send__",
> "instance_eval"]
>  *     k.methods.length   #=> 42
>  *     def k.kSingletonMethod; end
>  *     k.methods(false)   # => ["kSingletonMethod"]
>  */

Can you please create a patch according to
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/

and file it to ruby patch tracker:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=1700&group_id=4...

Thanks.

Jano
James B. (Guest)
Jano S. wrote:

> Can you please create a patch according to
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/

See also the documentation guidelines at

http://ruby-doc.org/documentation-guidelines.html

--
James B.

"To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to
assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with
the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche
Stefan R. (Guest)
on 2007-07-13 19:21
James B. wrote:
> Jano S. wrote:
>

>> Can you please create a patch according to
>> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/
>

> See also the documentation guidelines at
>
> http://ruby-doc.org/documentation-guidelines.html

Thanks to both of you. Any way to work around the read-onlyness (I use
ruby-forum.com) of ruby-core without having to register?

Regards
Stefan
Florian G. (Guest)
> Thanks to both of you. Any way to work around the read-onlyness (I use
> ruby-forum.com) of ruby-core without having to register?

You can use http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-core-google/ for
reading it more comfortably. I think you will still need to subscribe
to the ML though for posting. (But you can turn off receiving
messages / automatically move them to the trash.)