Forum: Ruby If I Hear "Agile" One More Time.

Christopher W. (Guest)
If I hear "Agile" one more time, I believe I will disgorge my bowels.
We've applied it to about 15,000 different usages:

The best type of development is agile: Agile Web D.. . .

The best type of web server is agile: "While Apache and IIS dominate the
market for Web servers, smaller and more agile competitors are arising
in the areas of performance and security"
(http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/web).

The best type of (organizational) management is agile: "So - what does
this have to do with Agile? There is a definite focus on the /Customer/
and /Business Value/ - at least in the rhetoric."
(http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/07/IT_Business_Gap) Side note: if you
capitalize agile it changes from a adjective to a noun.

I'm still waiting on "Developing Agile Customers to Cope with the POS
Products You Put Out with PHP."

Agile has almost become synonymous with "we can't do everything, but we
can't to that everything very fast."  Agile is a non-measurable word
that has a good marketing ring to it; soon kids on the playground will
say "My dad is more agile than your dad."
Tim P. (Guest)
On 7/12/07, Christopher W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> The best type of (organizational) management is agile: "So - what does
> that has a good marketing ring to it; soon kids on the playground will
> say "My dad is more agile than your dad."

We have a software tool at work called AGILE
[http://www.agile.com/plm/index.asp]. It is anything but.

So, how are your bowels?

TwP
Enrique Comba R. (Guest)

> Agile has almost become synonymous with "we can't do everything,
> but we can't to that everything very fast."  Agile is a non-
> measurable word that has a good marketing ring to it; soon kids on
> the playground will say "My dad is more agile than your dad."

Is he? ;)
Jason R. (Guest)
Yes, the word is massively overused now. Care to offer a replacement?

We'll ignore the fact that "agile" is a very common English word and has
very obvious meaning whenever it's used.

Jason
James B. (Guest)
Christopher W. wrote:
> If I hear "Agile" one more time, I believe I will disgorge my bowels.
> We've applied it to about 15,000 different usages:

Putting aside whether your points have merit,  this is not really a Ruby
matter.

James
ara.t.howard (Guest)
On Jul 12, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Christopher W. wrote:

> If I hear "Agile" one more time, I believe I will disgorge my
> bowels.  We've applied it to about 15,000 different usages:

(( 2 ** 31 - 1 )).times{ p :agile }

(ducking..)

-a
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 7/12/07, James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Christopher W. wrote:
> > If I hear "Agile" one more time, I believe I will disgorge my bowels.
> > We've applied it to about 15,000 different usages:
> >

> Putting aside whether your points have merit,  this is not really a Ruby
> matter.

Sadly, it seems we're running low on posts about that.  I'm thinking
we just change the name of this list to 'talk'.   Or maybe more
appropriate 'banter'

(only half kidding)
Bill K. (Guest)
> If I hear "Agile" one more time, I believe I will disgorge my bowels.

Oh, sir.  It's only wafer thin.
Robert D. (Guest)
On 7/12/07, ara.t.howard <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Christopher W. wrote:
>
> > If I hear "Agile" one more time, I believe I will disgorge my
> > bowels.  We've applied it to about 15,000 different usages:
>
> (( 2 ** 31 - 1 )).times{ p :agile }

Who is posting in Ara's name here? Or is it really you Ara and you do
not dare using 42 anymore ;)?
R.
Alan G. (Guest)
Tim P. wrote:

> So, how are your bowels?

There's a question I thought I'd never see on ruby-talk.
Bil K. (Guest)
ara.t.howard wrote:

> (( 2 ** 31 - 1 )).times{ p :agile }

Or the *nix way: