Forum: Ferret Query with special characters crashes under Windows XP

Star B. (Guest)

Index queries with special characters (e.g. German Umlauts but also
other European ones) make the Ruby process run for quite a long time and
crash finally.

I'm using Rails on Windows XP with Ferret 0.11.4_mswin_32.

I could isolate the problem in the following simple controller action
(so there's no web browser form field involved):

def test
  index = Ferret::I.new
  index << "Portimão"
  p index.search "Portimão"
end

The statement index.search "Portimão" causes the crash. There is no
entry in ferret_index.log or any other feedback.

My renvironment contains the following:

  ENV['LANG'] = 'de_DE.UTF-8@euro'
  ENV['LC_TIME'] = 'C'
  require 'acts_as_ferret'

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help,

Starburger
Jens K. (Guest)
Hi!

Afair this issue has come up a few times now, always on Windows
machines...

Is there some windows equivalent to unix locale settings that might be
set wrong (i.e. to something not UTF8)?

Jens

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 12:27:14PM +0200, Star B. wrote:

> Starburger
>
> --
Jens Krämer
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH
Schnorrstraße 76 | 01069 Dresden
Telefon +49 351 46766-0 | Telefax +49 351 46766-66
removed_email_address@domain.invalid | www.webit.de

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
GF Sven Haubold, Hagen Malessa
Star B. (Guest)
on 2007-07-11 14:39
Jens K. wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Afair this issue has come up a few times now, always on Windows
> machines...

Is there a hope that this problem will be gone under Suse Linux? This
will be the production env.

Starburger
Jens K. (Guest)
On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 12:39:05PM +0200, Star B. wrote:
> Jens K. wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Afair this issue has come up a few times now, always on Windows
> > machines...
>
> Is there a hope that this problem will be gone under Suse Linux? This
> will be the production env.

Definitely. I don't have one at hand but here (Ubuntu) your snippet
caused no problem.

Jens

--
Jens Krämer
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH
Schnorrstraße 76 | 01069 Dresden
Telefon +49 351 46766-0 | Telefax +49 351 46766-66
removed_email_address@domain.invalid | www.webit.de

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
GF Sven Haubold, Hagen Malessa
Star B. (Guest)