Forum: Ruby an alternative for VB using Ruby

Thilankka M. (Guest)
on 2007-07-10 08:51
I want to know if theres an alternative to VB.net using ruby.. I mean in
terms of dragging and dropping to build applications directly.. so that
building apps would be faster in ruby than it already is.
Might seem like a silly question but i do not know any better
Daniel L. (Guest)
on 2007-07-10 10:37
Thilankka M. wrote:
> I want to know if theres an alternative to VB.net using ruby.. I mean in
> terms of dragging and dropping to build applications directly.. so that
> building apps would be faster in ruby than it already is.
> Might seem like a silly question but i do not know any better

There is the Glade GUI builder, which has a Ruby binding. Here is a
sample video of how you can use it to rapidly develop GUI applications
in Ruby:

http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?RubyZilla

For this you need to install the GTK toolkit (which you have already if
you are running Gnome) and the Ruby-Gnome2 bindings to GTK.

http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Install+Guide

best,
Dan
SonOfLilit (Guest)
There is an old japanese implementation of a VB like IDE in ruby (that
I've never tried) for Windows.

Look in the rubygarden wiki.

But believe me, you don't want VB-ness in your ruby code. Instead, you
want elegance and easy editing. There is a reason that all popular
programming languages use ASCII only.

Aur
Chad P. (Guest)
On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 03:37:34PM +0900, Daniel L. wrote:
> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?RubyZilla
Ouch.  I wonder whose bright idea it was to produce a 1024x768 Flash
video.
Thilankka M. (Guest)
thanks for the reply.
I suppose having vbness in your coding might be a little annoying . but
anyway i'll check out what you said
Huw C. (Guest)
"Thilankka M." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>I want to know if theres an alternative to VB.net using ruby.. I mean in
> terms of dragging and dropping to build applications directly..

In the next release of Ruby In Steel Developer (later this year) you
will be
able to create dual language applications (e.g. VB.NET or C# plus Ruby).
This means that (among other things) you will be able to create the
entire
user interface in VB.NET or C# and run your Ruby program from it.

More info on our blog:
http://www.sapphiresteel.com/Visual-Basic-Talks-Ruby-Too
http://www.sapphiresteel.com/From-C-to-Ruby-and-ba...
http://www.sapphiresteel.com/Adventures-in-Ruby-and-NET
http://www.sapphiresteel.com/Visual-Ruby-One-Small-Step

best wishes
Huw C.

http://www.sapphiresteel.com
Ruby P.ming In Visual Studio 2005
Greg K. (Guest)
On Jul 10, 9:13 am, SonOfLilit <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> On 7/10/07, Thilankka M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I want to know if theres an alternative to VB.net using ruby.. I mean in
> > terms of dragging and dropping to build applications directly.. so that
> > building apps would be faster in ruby than it already is.
> > Might seem like a silly question but i do not know any better
>
> > --

Hey, I like Ruby as much as the next guy but "all popular programming
languages use ASCII only" is a bit of a stretch, dontcha think? If you
are talking about __popularity__ then Java and .NET are much more in
the mainstream than Ruby, Perl, Python, et. al. Go look for online
jobs, or in a bookstore or on a college course schedule. If you want
to say "hardcore/historical/expert programming languages" then I might
buy that, since C can definitely join the group. But "all" is a tough
qualifier for my $0.02 US...
SonOfLilit (Guest)
Java and .NET have GUI builders, but still store the interface plan in
ASCII that can be read and edited, I think... Actually, sorry, I'm not
that sure about .NET.

And of course there is VB which is popular, so I'm wrong.

Aur