Forum: Ruby on Rails FAQ updates

Faisal N Jawdat (Guest)
I've thrown a bunch of updates at the FAQ, and brought some of the
original questions up to date with current practice:

http://www.faisal.com/docs/ror-list-faq.xhtml

As always, feel free to send me comments, new questions, flames, etc.

-faisal
Phlip (Guest)
Faisal N Jawdat wrote:

> I've thrown a bunch of updates at the FAQ, and brought some of the
> original questions up to date with current practice:
>
> http://www.faisal.com/docs/ror-list-faq.xhtml

To help improve this forum, the regulars here should borrow two
excellent
techniques which news:comp.lang.c++ has used successfully.

We need to automatically post that FAQ once a week, in a post called
"Read
this FAQ before you post".

And each time anyone asks a question which the FAQ covers, don't answer
it.
Briefly (and politely) provide a link to the page in the FAQ with the
answer. Follow up with the friendly admonition "always check the FAQ
before
posting".

These behaviors will make this forum much more useful to everyone, and
we
will attract more senior regulars. People who currently don't have time
wade thru all the posts that just say "how do I start programming Rails
without reading a stupid book?"...

--
  Phlip
  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510657/
On Jul 9, 2007, at 10:29 PM, Phlip wrote:
> We need to automatically post that FAQ once a week, in a post
> called "Read
> this FAQ before you post".

Know a clean way to do this?  Failing that I'll probably just set up
a cron job to mail out an html-to-text version of the file.

-faisal
Mohit S. (Guest)
Faisal N Jawdat wrote:
> -faisal

Hi Faisal,

I wonder if it's better to mail out only the questions with links to the
answer.  That way, the email size will be smaller but people will still
know which questions have been answered in the FAQ.

You've done a great job with the FAQ - one suggestion I have is to name/
number the sections and the questions in the sections so that people can
answer new mails with statements like "See question 2.3 in the FAQ"

I'll contact you separately myself to add to the answers to some of the
questions.

Cheers,
Mohit.
7/10/2007 | 11:12 AM.
Phlip (Guest)
Faisal N Jawdat wrote:

>> We need to automatically post that FAQ once a week, in a post
>> called "Read
>> this FAQ before you post".
>
> Know a clean way to do this?

No. Unless it's in the Google interface (what are the odds??).

Google for [Shiva "comp.lang.c++" welcome message] and work your way out
how he does it. He posted that once.

> Failing that I'll probably just set up
> a cron job to mail out an html-to-text version of the file.

That's probably how. But don't mail the FAQ out; mail out a "welcome"
message that directs people to the FAQ. Mail out the Meta-FAQ.

--
  Phlip
  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510657/
  "Test Driven Ajax (on Rails)"
Cliff R. (Guest)
>>> We need to automatically post that FAQ once a week, in a post
>>> called "Read
>>> this FAQ before you post".
>>>
>> Know a clean way to do this?
>>

> No. Unless it's in the Google interface (what are the odds??).

How long would it take to write & cron a ruby script to parse the FAQ
and spit out an email to the list? ;-)  Only takes 1 email and everyone
will get it.

Cliff