Forum: Ruby on Rails Vacation Reading Recommendations

blinking bear (Guest)
I'm looking for a programming related good book(not about ruby or rails
stretch my brain while on vacation and away from the computer for a
week.
Something  similar to the classic GOF design patterns or Martin F.'s
refactoring book.  I was an MIS student, not computer science, so I've
been
thinking of cracking a book on data structures or algorithms.  Here's
some
possible contenders, any other suggestions?

*Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
*<http://www.amazon.com/Compilers-Principles-Techniq...

*Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of
Software*<http://www.amazon.com/Domain-Driven-Design-Tacklin...

*The Art of Computer Programming*
<http://www.amazon.com/Art-Computer-Programming-Vol...
*Structure and Interpretation of Computer
Programs*<http://www.amazon.com/Structure-Interpretation-Com...
Phlip (Guest)
blinking bear wrote:

> I'm looking for a programming related good book(not about ruby or rails )
> stretch my brain while on vacation and away from the computer for a week.
> Something  similar to the classic GOF design patterns or Martin F.'s
> refactoring book.

/Refactoring to Patterns/ by Josh Kereivsky.

--
  Phlip
  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510657/

Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
by Robert C. Martin
http://www.amazon.com/Software-Development-Princip...
Pat M. (Guest)
On 7/7/07, blinking bear <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> The Art of Computer Programming
>
> Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
>

>  >

Domain Driven Design is my favorite design-related book.  I highly
recommend it.

Pat
Michael S. (Guest)
On Saturday 07 July 2007, blinking bear wrote:
> I'm looking for a programming related good book(not about ruby or
> rails ) to stretch my brain while on vacation and away from the
> computer for a week. Something  similar to the classic GOF design
> patterns or Martin F.'s refactoring book.  I was an MIS student,
> not computer science, so I've been thinking of cracking a book on
> data structures or algorithms.  Here's some possible contenders, any
> other suggestions?
>
> *Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools*

I really doubt if you can get much out of this book in only a week.
Usually, it is used for semester long courses.

> *Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of
> Software*

Unquestionably a good book. Possibly a bit too close to work if you're
looking for a mind opener.

> *The Art of Computer Programming*

I've always admired and avoided this one. If you can't extend your
holidays by at least two years, you probably won't make it even past
the mathematical preliminaries.

A more accessible algorithms/datastructures book is "Introduction to
Algorithms" by Cormen, Leiserson, and Rivest. But make no mistake, all
these "academic" books tend to be heavy on the maths. If you're not
interested in detailed complexity analyses at any rate, there are a
number of other algorithms/datastructures books, although I can't
recommend any one specifically.

> *Structure and Interpretation of Computer
> Programs*

From a practical point of view, SICP is the one you will probably get
the most out of if you have about a week. You can quickly move over the
easier parts that and go as far as your time permits. Incidentally, I
had my copy in my hands today and the thought struck me that there's no
other programming book that tought me more.

Michael

--
Michael S.
mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid