Forum: Ruby Ruby and cygwin: supported?

Pascal.Sartoretti (Guest)
Hello,

I have tried to use ruby from the Cygwin environment under Windows. Some
things work, some don't... Is it supported? Are there any tricks?

Thanks for any help

Pascal Sartoretti
bob.news (Guest)
Pascal Sartoretti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have tried to use ruby from the Cygwin environment under Windows.
> Some things work, some don't... Is it supported? Are there any tricks?

What exactly do you mean by this?  cygwin.com maintains a ruby package
so
in a way you can say it's supported.  Which things didn't work for you?
I'm quite happy with the cygwin version most of the time.  But then
again,
I don't do GUI stuff...

Kind regards

    robert
Pascal.Sartoretti (Guest)
Robert K. wrote:
> What exactly do you mean by this?  cygwin.com maintains a ruby package so
> in a way you can say it's supported.

I didn't know! I just installed Ruby the "regular" way, and wanted to be
able to invoque it from the Cygwin shell.

 > Which things didn't work for you?

For instance, when using gem:

c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file or directory --
/cygdrive/c/ruby/bin/gem (LoadError)

I have the feeling that ruby is lost between the Windows and the Cygwin
way of naming directories.

Pascal
bob.news (Guest)
Pascal Sartoretti wrote:
> Robert K. wrote:
>> What exactly do you mean by this?  cygwin.com maintains a ruby
>> package so in a way you can say it's supported.
>
> I didn't know!

You could have easily checked.

> I just installed Ruby the "regular" way, and wanted to
> be able to invoque it from the Cygwin shell.

I guess you better deinstall it and fetch the ruby package from cygwin.

>  > Which things didn't work for you?
>
> For instance, when using gem:
>
> c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file or directory --
> /cygdrive/c/ruby/bin/gem (LoadError)
>
> I have the feeling that ruby is lost between the Windows and the
> Cygwin way of naming directories.

Probably.  Note that there are cygpath and File.join().  I didn't try to
use gems with cygwin yet.

Cheers

    robert
hgs (Guest)
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Pascal Sartoretti wrote:

> c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file or directory -- /cygdrive/c/ruby/bin/gem
> (LoadError)

Did you install rubygems in the same way as you installed your
cygwin ruby?  The paths are setup with respect to the ruby you are
using it with.

> I have the feeling that ruby is lost between the Windows and the Cygwin way of
> naming directories.

They are effectively two separate installs.   You probably want your
.bashrc or _bashrc to sort out the paths properly for cygwin as
well.  it should not be looking for ruby stuff in /cygrdrive/c/ruby
because that is the C:\ruby directory that the Windows setup uses,
which has ruby built against different DLL files.  The default ruby
install will put ruby in /usr/local/bin/ruby and so on.  And ruby
built from sources does not have rubygems built in.

> Pascal

        Hugh
jqshenker (Guest)
I ran into this problem a while ago: Uninstall your native Windows
version, and get the cygwin version. It's really hard (impossible,
maybe) to make the native version play nicely with cygwin. I also had
to recompile Ruby from source, as one of the bundled cygwin binaries
kept crashing.

Jacob
davemontalvo (Guest)
to invoke a win version of ruby from the cygwin shell, just add an alias
it in your .profile file:

alias ruby='/cygdrive/c/ruby/bin/ruby'

dave
rpardee (Guest)
Awesome cool--thanks!  Looks like this is a good thing too:

alias irb='/cygdrive/c/ruby/bin/irb.bat'

-Roy