Forum: Ruby on Rails RoR + online payment

eric (Guest)
on 2007-07-05 19:11
Hi everyone,

I wonder what kind of plugins can be installed to combine RoR and online
payment methods such as using Credit Cards or Paypal, etc?

Or must we create our own way to do the online payment?

Thanks in advance.
Phlip (Guest)
eric wrote:

> I wonder what kind of plugins can be installed to combine RoR and online
> payment methods such as using Credit Cards or Paypal, etc?
>
> Or must we create our own way to do the online payment?

The best way is to redirect your users to a service, such as PlugNPay,
and
let them log in there. That way, PNP manages their account, provides a
call
center, etc. You really don't want to do all that.

Then each time the user requests your premium services, you contact PNP
as a
webservice to see if their account is up to date. If it is, you log the
user
into their features, and PNP pays you.

No moving parts. Almost no programming. And no endless customer support
problems.

--
  Phlip
  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510657/

I modified this ruby gem: http://rubyforge.org/projects/checkout/

And everything has worked out great.  Google Checkout is an interesting
choice because they aren't charging anything from now through the end of
the
year.  Even when they do start charging, their published rates are lower
than many other alternatives I've seen.

Terry

--
Terry (TAD) Donaghe