Forum: Ruby Absolutely lost with URI/Net/HTTP (part II)

Guest (Guest)
on 2007-07-03 16:47
Hi, sorry for the repost, but I can't seem to reply without registering,
and I can't seem to register... so I'm in quite a predicament (if
there's a way to reply as a guest, please let me know)

I was told this as a solution to my problem:

> is it possible to download a file with a PHP hidden URL?
>
> when the link is clicked on in firefox, it will prompt the user to
> either open or save, for example...
>
> http://www.esnips.com/nsdoc/b2a4a221-2590-486f-a31...
>
> how can i download this file using ruby?

require "open-uri"

File.open("my.mp3","wb") do |file|
  file << open("http://...")
end

however, this only works for files that are located directly at that
location i.e. http://random.../random.mp3, not for php hosted files like
the examle I had given.  Please help!
Aaron P. (Guest)
On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 09:47:12PM +0900, Guest wrote:
> Hi, sorry for the repost, but I can't seem to reply without registering,
> and I can't seem to register... so I'm in quite a predicament (if
> there's a way to reply as a guest, please let me know)

Can't you subscribe to the mailing list?

> > how can i download this file using ruby?
>
> require "open-uri"
>
> File.open("my.mp3","wb") do |file|
>   file << open("http://...")
> end
>
> however, this only works for files that are located directly at that
> location i.e. http://random.../random.mp3, not for php hosted files like
> the examle I had given.  Please help!

It looks like you need to log in to the site before you can download
that file, correct?  If that is the case, I suggest using
WWW::Mechanize.  It lets you fill out forms, and manages cookies and
redirects for you.

  http://mechanize.rubyforge.org/