Forum: Ruby on Rails redirect_to puts me from https to http

Perry S. (Guest)
on 2007-07-02 06:05
I'm trying to deploy my application.  I basically followed the cookbook
in the rails book.  But I have a problem.

My incoming requests are https://foo.com/whatever I do a RewriteRule to
pass it to a Proxy with two mongrel BalanceMembers as
http://127.0.0.1:8000 and 8001.  All that is working fine except when my
rails code executes a redirect_to there(id) function.  That puts me back
to an http request.  I have my Apache server set up so that you can not
get to these pages using http so the server gives me back a page not
found or permission denied or something like that.

I think I understand why this is happening.  As far as mongrel and rails
thinks, this is an http request.

Can I get mongrel to pass the request to rails as if it was https?

Thank you for your help,
Perry
Rick T. (Guest)
On Mon, 2007-02-07 at 04:05 +0200, Perry S. wrote:

> I think I understand why this is happening.  As far as mongrel and rails
> thinks, this is an http request.
>
> Can I get mongrel to pass the request to rails as if it was https?

Try adding these two lines to your apache configuration:

  RequestHeader set X_FORWARDED_PROTO   "https"
  RequestHeader set X_ORIGINAL_PROTOCOL "https"

If you're using VirtualHost blocks, these lines go in that block.

--
Rick
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

I found this link: