Forum: Ruby New File Icon

Peter M. (Guest)
on 2007-07-01 05:29
The default file icon for ruby is a bit ugly. Compare it to Python's
file icon to see what I mean. Are there any plans to change this for
1.9, and if not is there a way to submit an alternative?
Ben B. (Guest)
On Sun, Jul 01, 2007, Peter M. wrote:
> The default file icon for ruby is a bit ugly. Compare it to Python's
> file icon to see what I mean. Are there any plans to change this for
> 1.9, and if not is there a way to submit an alternative?

Uh.

Ruby doesn't have a default icon.  They're just text files.  Whatever
icon you're seeing is coming from your OS/window manager/what have you.
Talk to whoever made that :)

Ben
Robert O. (Guest)
If you're on Windows, I believe the icon comes from the One-Click Ruby
Installer and not Ruby itself.  You can always associate it with another
one
if you want in the File Type Associations dialog.
Peter M. (Guest)
on 2007-07-01 15:54
Robert O. wrote:
> If you're on Windows, I believe the icon comes from the One-Click Ruby
> Installer and not Ruby itself.  You can always associate it with another
> one
> if you want in the File Type Associations dialog.

Oh, I know that but that would only change it for me. I'd like to be
able to submit a new file icon for anyone who's using Ruby.
John J. (Guest)
On Jul 1, 2007, at 6:54 AM, Peter M. wrote:

You can't really. On OS X, for example, the icon reflects the
application designated to open the file-type, it can of course be
changed any time (the default app to open with) But changing icons is
just worth little effort for files.
I'd suggest an icon utility that lets you run themes on your
machine's icons.
SonOfLilit (Guest)
Talk to the guy that maintains the One-click Ruby Installer.

I'd love to see a beautiful gem symbol instead of the ugly creature
that's on my laptop's ruby files :)

Aur
John J. (Guest)
If you get in touch with the admins, I'd be happy to design an icon
for it!

John J.
Curt H. (Guest)
on 2007-07-02 18:42
John J. wrote:
> If you get in touch with the admins, I'd be happy to design an icon
> for it!
>
> John J.

Sure, I'd love to get some nice new icons! Please contact me off list
(curt at hibbs dot com).

Curt